3000 series reliability

/ 3000 series reliability #1  

Mike5252

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2320
I've been seeing quite a few low hour 3000 series cubs advertised for sale lately and couldn't help but wondering why so many people would be wanting to unload these tractors.

I've never seen any mention that these tractors were not completely reliable, heavy duty garden tractors.

Are these as good of tractors as I believe they are?

Is the mow quality good? Does the bagger attachment work well? (it doesnt' look like it has an auxilliary power source).

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to get something around this size to mow the yard and they seem like a lot of tractor for the $ (for the used ones).

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

/ 3000 series reliability #2  
I bought a new 3235 in the summer of 2004 with 54inch deck and triple bagger, trading in a 1978 1450 with 1100 hours. When I went to the local dealer's Customer Appreciation Day a couple months ago, he mentioned something about having some problems earlier but gave no specifics. I have 214 hours on mine mowing an acre, some of it over rough tree roots and brush. I perform the regular maintenance pretty much on schedule and have not had problem 1 yet. I did have to replace the blades this summer because I went to sharpen them and found 3 ears out of 6 were broken off the high-lift blades. The dealer said that was common. I paid around $72 for them and later found them at TSC for $54, the same genuine Cub blades. The bagger, which doesn't use any auxiliary engine or blower, works great unless the grass is very long and wet. The 54 inch deck doesn't build up underneath like my old 44R did, even when mowing wet grass, which mine is much of the time. I've only removed the deck for cleaning 3 times and ther last time I coated it with POR-15, which seems to make it even better. I have noticed a little hydraulic oil starting to leak while parked in the barn. I figure it's probably from the 2 check valves on the hydro-static drive which seem to be troublesome. I had to replace both on the 1450. If you find a good deal I would say - Go for it - based on my experience. YMMV

Bob B.

/ 3000 series reliability #3  
Well, let's see. I agree they seem to really depreciate after the first few years. This is just my opinion but, I think they are wwaaayy over-priced when new but a heck of a bargan used(around 2500). Remember however, this is not a "simple" big box lawnmower, it is much more complicated and has a lot more spendy parts on it than your run-of-the-mill MTD grass cutter. I think in the right suburban setting they can do a heck of a job! I have a 3184 with the snowblower attachment(insanely overpriced when bought new :eek: ), and I think both the mower and the blower do excellent jobs. But then again, I have about two thousand bucks in the whole thing and at that price I love it. Here again my .02- if your mechanicly inclined and don't mind a little more than the minimum maintenance, they are far and away the best deal on the used tractor market. If you want something you never, ever look at and just cut grass, stay away from these beasts.

/ 3000 series reliability #4  
I have a 2007, 3200 with a 60" deck. So far I have had no problems with the machine. This is the second season for it and currently has about 130 hours on the hour meter. The movability is much improved over the 1864 it replaced. I would buy another.

/ 3000 series reliability #5  
I have an '04 GT3235 with appx 400hrs on it - the only NON self inflicted issue I have had is a leak in one of the valves for the hydraulic lift that was replaced under warranty. (I have the front quick hitch with hydraulic angling).

The first year I had this we moved to 4 acres that needed ALOT of work and I ABUSED my machine. It took it all (well almost all) in stride. Note to others - do NOT try and move a 4' dia tree trunk by backing up and raming it with your blade - you WILL eventually break something.