$300+ error... any thoughts?

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Was working on my road with my 12' drag blade Sunday. I wasn't going crazy, but was certainly unconventional. Anyway, long story short, blade dipped into a ditch, deeper than intended, and I snapped my drawbar. None in stock and over $320-340 at my local JD dealers.

I know it can happen, but no one I've personally known has ever broken a drawbar.

Anyone have any options other than just sucking it up and paying the "stupid tax".

JD 5100e

IMG_3659.JPG

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #2  
That's about the thinnest drawbar I have ever seen. Even my much smaller JD 770 had one at least twice as thick. I know, because I needed to fabricate a different sized one for some project.

Did you buy the tractor new? If not, maybe it had been stressed.

Maybe good fortune that it didn't happen under more critical conditions.

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #3  
Does your blade have a rigid or swinging clevis and were you using a tight fitting pin?

rigidclevishitch.jpgswingingclevishitch.jpg

Bruce

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #4  
I'd build one. Then you're out maybe $20 for a piece of steel.

Last edited:
   / $300+ error... any thoughts?
   / $300+ error... any thoughts?
That's about the thinnest drawbar I have ever seen. Even my much smaller JD 770 had one at least twice as thick. I know, because I needed to fabricate a different sized one for some project.

Did you buy the tractor new? If not, maybe it had been stressed.

Maybe good fortune that it didn't happen under more critical conditions.

It's about 1 1/2" thick. I haven't measured it, but seemed pretty 'normal' for my expectations

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #7  
Sounds like the blade being in the ditch put it at enough angle with the drawbar that it ran out of "travel". Something has to give.
The hitch pin hole in the drawbar appears to be elongated a bit which allows for front to rear angle between the tractor and implement but not side to side.

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #8  
It's about 1 1/2" thick. I haven't measured it, but seemed pretty 'normal' for my expectations

I would sure think that 1-1/2" is thick enough.

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #9  
With a rigid clevis and a pin with little clearance, the system becomes rigid when the slack is out going over a hump or dip.

One of these tries to happen, (exaggerated) :)

tractor-scraper-bump.jpg

tractor-scraper-dip.jpg

I would check with a machine shop about making a duplicate drawbar. And I would convert to a swinging clevis.

Bruce

/ $300+ error... any thoughts? #10  
Was working on my road with my 12' drag blade Sunday. I wasn't going crazy, but was certainly unconventional. Anyway, long story short, blade dipped into a ditch, deeper than intended, and I snapped my drawbar. None in stock and over $320-340 at my local JD dealers.

I know it can happen, but no one I've personally known has ever broken a drawbar.

Anyone have any options other than just sucking it up and paying the "stupid tax".

JD 5100e

View attachment 488887

The reason is called yield stress.

The economical solution is called a welding machine.