3 Sided Equipment Storage

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I'm just about to be in need of an equipment shed. Need to store mowers, gas cans, hand tools, tractor later this year hopefully, etc. I would like to make it maybe 20X30 so I would have 3 bays for storage dirt floor is fine. I don't want to spend a fortune on it but I would like it to last a good long time. Eventually I am going to build a large shop so this may turn in to a barn for animals.

Do you have any insight on the best way to go about that?

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #2  
Have u considered a shipping container?

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #3  
6" to 8" posts. 2 x 6 framing.

Metal sides and roof

Find your prevailing wind direction (where your most frequent and strongest winds usually come from) and set the open side away from that.

Depending on lumber and metal prices, you might get 20 x 30 for $1500-2000 doing the work yourself.

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #4  
3-sided is great storage for anything that won't walk off. Build it as tall as you can to allow for hay storage. That extra 4' of wall metal is cheap.

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage
Have u considered a shipping container?
They are super expensive right now. I may get one when prices come back down and build a lean-to off of it. For now, not my preferred direction.

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #6  
I have five carport bays where I store my stuff. Riding mowers, tractor, ATV and any implements with moving parts ( Wally chipper ). The remaining implements are each stored out in the old orchard - each on its own pallet. My main objective is to get this stuff out of the sun. Around here the sun will create the most damage to my equipment.
IMG_0184.JPG

Last edited:
   / 3 Sided Equipment Storage #7  
6" to 8" posts. 2 x 6 framing.

Metal sides and roof

Find your prevailing wind direction (where your most frequent and strongest winds usually come from) and set the open side away from that.

Depending on lumber and metal prices, you might get 20 x 30 for $1500-2000 doing the work yourself.
Not in my area. $1500 is not going to go far.

6x6x12's are $45, 6x6x16"s are $52

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #8  
Not in my area. $1500 is not going to go far.

6x6x12's are $45, 6x6x16"s are $52
Wow, that's like 1/4 or a bit more then what it's going for here. I recently called to price some wood and decided that I can do without what I wanted to build for a while.

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #9  
I have been doing some interesting construction projects from piles of scrap. It turns out those leftover boards can be useful if I can't run to the lumber yard for a cheap 2x6.

/ 3 Sided Equipment Storage #10  
I have been doing some interesting construction projects from piles of scrap. It turns out those leftover boards can be useful if I can't run to the lumber yard for a cheap 2x6.
I do try to reclaim everything when I tear something down, which is one of the reasons I don't use screws, and nails are cheaper. I used 50 to 60% of the wood out of my old shed to build my new one. I also bought the wood for that early last year before the madness had begun. There is no such thing as scrap wood unless it's started to rot. I can always find a use for it.