3 pt. boom arm design

/ 3 pt. boom arm design #1  

treesawer

Have any DIY welders out there designed a nice 3 pt. boom arm implement 8 -10' in length? I need some good photos for ideas or crude drawings maybe. What I see for sale at AG retailers isn't made that well & not the color of my machine so this leads me to welding/painting up my own implement. I am thinking 2 x 3 x 3/16 tube,1 x 1 tube for L & R bracing &
4 x 4 x 1/4 angle for lower attachment stock. Thanks for any ideas.

tree sawer /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 3 pt. boom arm design #2  
I haven't yet made one, but this design has appeared recently on some threads. Seems most versatile design I have seen.

Do a search for boom pole. There should be plenty of material on this forum.

Nigel

Attachments

• 266913-fullredhitch1.JPG
    266913-fullredhitch1.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,417
   / 3 pt. boom arm design #3  
Close up of hitch.
I am plagerising these pics from a fellow TBN'r
Sorry I did not keep details to give credit to the rightful owner

Attachments

• 266914-greenhitch3.JPG
    266914-greenhitch3.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,202
   / 3 pt. boom arm design #5  
Yeah, thats the one.
Also explains why I had only saved pictures and not details of post.

Thanks for clarification

/ 3 pt. boom arm design #6  
That Ebay unit is an interesting multi use idea. Do search on boom poles and you will find lots of interesting ideas - including safety.

Speaking of safety, this design has a couple things that stick out to me. The lower part seems rugged enough - a box section with nice thick plate for the pins. I have a problem with the stress that the angle iron experiences when a boom is used. I don't like the idea of putting both bending and twisting forces and on that vertical section. What is also not present here that you see on all other booms is any bracing that triangulates the structure. I would not count on the top link to add any rigidity other than simple tension, like you would get having a chain or cable in place of the link.

Maybe the pro weldors here will comment that I am overly cautious. It's a clean design, and that top plate adds some twisting resistance, but I'd think about adding at least a couple more pieces of angle to triangulate the vertical structure, and even some pin-on braces that could run from welded-on tabs out on the boom to the plates where the 3-pt pins attach.

Having said that, I still think it's a neat idea as far as versatility goes. Better yet to make the whole thing out of square tubing, along the lines of what Makers Mark did on his home made rake. Why not make this a 3-pt receiver hitch with the added provision for the boom - adding a lower reciever between the angles and on top of the square tubing to this would get you there, and those holes where the two lower balls mount could hold hooks, pins, or or clevis'.

/ 3 pt. boom arm design #7  
yea i gota get around to making a boom pole one of these days too, i need something heavier duty than the 65 dollar ones at TSC, i want something that will safely lift 2500-3500lbs. just for that heavy stuff that ya cant get the 3pt forks under, and is too heavy for the loader on our little ford. i have been thinkin of using some 2.5 inch square tubing with 1/4 inch wall, i got a long length of that laying around, or maybe just an i beam im not sure yet, but whatever i do it will need to be heavy duty

/ 3 pt. boom arm design #9  
That plan looks like the top link comes off and the boom pole pins directly to the top link mount. Would definetly help out on the leverage and strength points, but would it still go up with the lower links. Wouldn't you need a link there to allow for the lift ( kind of like a 3" long toplink ??? ).

/ 3 pt. boom arm design #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why not make this a 3-pt receiver hitch with the added provision for the boom - adding a lower reciever between the angles and on top of the square tubing to this would get you there, and those holes where the two lower balls mount could hold hooks, pins, or or clevis'.)</font>

I have emailed the seller ( sridge@scrtc.com ) about making just such a design. He said that they have had a few requests along that line and would make one (painted, without the boom pole- add $25 if you want it) for $135.00 plus shipping.

Since I don't have a goose neck trailer, my thought was to construct the boom pole with a diagonal brace running from the end of the boom to the top of the hitch where the gooseneck ball mounts and bolting it there. A couple of short pieces would connect the brace to the boom along its length. This would greatly increase the strength of the boom, and would lock the boom in place while still allowing it to be easily removed.