3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #1  

ScotNH

Tractor
Mahindra eMax 22l
Hello all. I’m a new tractor owner. I just got my Mahindra eMax 22l with FEL, MMM, and backhoe a few weeks ago and currently have about 30 hours on it. I’ve recently discovered “Backhoe Dollies”, and would like to build one to store my backhoe on during the winter. The issue that I have is that the lower arms for the 3 point hitch get secured to the drawbar with an “arm retainer” before the backhoe is put on, and they extend out to the point that they would prevent me from lowering the backhoe onto a dolly.

My initial thought is that I could just remove the lower arms completely prior to putting the backhoe on, but it made me wonder if the reason they supply the arm retainer is because that is a huge hassle. Is it necessary to have the lower arms of the 3 point hitch attached to the tractor and secured to the arm retainer when having the backhoe on? Is the process of removing and reinstalling these arms simple, as it would appear, or is there something tricky about it, like the need to remove a rear tire to remove the long pin the arms connect to?

I’ve attached a picture showing one of the arms extending beyond the backhoe, and a diagram of the arm retainer.

Thanks in advance.
E11FAACB-9914-43CA-8E2D-2559A877D4C6.jpeg
BCDAE22F-106D-4028-BBCF-3A3BDD093C21.jpeg

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #2  
Different brand and color of machine, but I don't store my arms that way. I pull them up and to the sides, then shock cord them to the ROPS.

If you want to keep doing yours that way, you could experiment with your method. Use the outriggers to support the BH and drive forward a bit (as you do now to unhook), then release the arms from that keeper and pull them out of the way and remove the keeper before settling the BH down onto the platform/dolly.

I don't use a dolly as such. I unhook as described above, then put a couple of chunks of RR tie under the BH before setting it down in place.

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #3  
Hello all. I’m a new tractor owner. I just got my Mahindra eMax 22l with FEL, MMM, and backhoe a few weeks ago and currently have about 30 hours on it. I’ve recently discovered “Backhoe Dollies”, and would like to build one to store my backhoe on during the winter. The issue that I have is that the lower arms for the 3 point hitch get secured to the drawbar with an “arm retainer” before the backhoe is put on, and they extend out to the point that they would prevent me from lowering the backhoe onto a dolly.

My initial thought is that I could just remove the lower arms completely prior to putting the backhoe on, but it made me wonder if the reason they supply the arm retainer is because that is a huge hassle. Is it necessary to have the lower arms of the 3 point hitch attached to the tractor and secured to the arm retainer when having the backhoe on? Is the process of removing and reinstalling these arms simple, as it would appear, or is there something tricky about it, like the need to remove a rear tire to remove the long pin the arms connect to?

I’ve attached a picture showing one of the arms extending beyond the backhoe, and a diagram of the arm retainer.

Thanks in advance.View attachment 705235View attachment 705236
I always remove my lower arms together with the upright section that connects to the lift arms at the top. Pretty easy to do on my machine. Looks like you can just slide the pin that holds the lower arm in place enough to pull the lower arm out and then simply slide the pin back into place without having to remove the wheel. Not sure though as I don't know what sort of clearance you have. Hard to tell from your photos.

Hope this helps!!

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #4  
As a new tractor owner do you have a ballast box or spreader to mount on your three point as a counterweight to your FEL for the winter?

Over the years I have saw many of those backhoes stored in different formats, not sure any are better than the other since you still have exposed ram cylinders. The backhoes main job is counterweight, on the smaller tractors they do not get much use for most people.

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe
I unhook as described above, then put a couple of chunks of RR tie under the BH before setting it down in place.
I may end up going this route for simplicity.

Looks like you can just slide the pin that holds the lower arm in place enough to pull the lower arm out and then simply slide the pin back into place without having to remove the wheel.
I agree, it looks simple, but if it is that easy, I wonder why they supply the arm retainer and have you attach that, instead of just removing the lower arms before mounting the backhoe. I guess I just need to give it a try. I just wasn’t sure if there was some good reason they are left on, with the added step of the arm retainer, instead of just pulling a couple of pins and removing them Prior to reattaching the backhoe.

As a new tractor owner do you have a ballast box or spreader to mount on your three point as a counterweight to your FEL for the winter?
I have a box blade that I’ll be attaching when then backhoe is stored. My rear tires are also filled.

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #7  
Huh. I figgered the main purpose for a hydraulic digging machine was to ... you know ... dig.

Who knew?
Lots for sale at prices that never sell, the ones I know who have them rent excavators. Say it is faster and more comfortable, age related?

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #8  
I have the Max 26xl which uses the same arm retainer set up. The 3 point arms do not need to be on for any reason with the backhoe on and in use. It is just much easier to utilize the retainer than to remove the arms themselves.

Have you removed the backhoe yet? The basic process is to remove the pins, use the stabilizer arms to lift it up and out of the mounting plate, pull forward, shut off the tractor and disconnect the hydraulics, and pull away.

If you are going to build and utilize a dolly the process will be the same. The only difference will be staging it on the dolly rather than the floor or ground. The 3 point arms still shouldn't interfere with this for installation or removal.

The only issue I have had is the stabilizer arms will bleed off over time allowing everything to drop lower. I use a few jack stands under the frame to prevent this, but you could build a support into the dolly also.

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe
I have the Max 26xl which uses the same arm retainer set up. The 3 point arms do not need to be on for any reason with the backhoe on and in use. It is just much easier to utilize the retainer than to remove the arms themselves.

Have you removed the backhoe yet? The basic process is to remove the pins, use the stabilizer arms to lift it up and out of the mounting plate, pull forward, shut off the tractor and disconnect the hydraulics, and pull away.

If you are going to build and utilize a dolly the process will be the same. The only difference will be staging it on the dolly rather than the floor or ground. The 3 point arms still shouldn't interfere with this for installation or removal.

The only issue I have had is the stabilizer arms will bleed off over time allowing everything to drop lower. I use a few jack stands under the frame to prevent this, but you could build a support into the dolly also.

I have removed the backhoe a few times. I need to remove it every time I use my mid mount mower. The drooping outriggers is what lead me to start researching different ways to store the backhoe.

The dollies that I have seen, you do not use the outrigger arms at all. You lower the bucket and the frame onto a support built into the dolly. The dolly with support rolls in just an inch or so beneath the frame, and when you push the backhoe off the pins, the frame itself lands on the dolly. The lower 3 point arms extended beyond the frame would prevent this. This video isn’t the design I’ll be using, but it shows the basic idea, and I think you could see how those arms extending

The dolly would give me some flexibility as to where I store it all winter long, since I would be able to wheel it into a corner of my garage that I can’t back it into to detach. It would also not take up as much space with the outriggers up.

For now, I’ll start putting support under the frame when I detach, and I’ll see how the process of removing the lower arms goes the next time I plan to put the backhoe back on.

Thanks for the replies.

/ 3 Point Lower Arms and Backhoe #10  
Lots for sale at prices that never sell, the ones I know who have them rent excavators. Say it is faster and more comfortable, age related?
I worked the snot out of my BH. Way more convenient than renting, at least for me.