3 holes for top link on tractor end

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #11  
when I was in grade school our farming classes told us to ALWAYS use the lowest hole possible that will get the job done.
I remember when we were graded on hitching implements, one of my class mates hitched using the highest hole and the instructor gave him a hog cane across his knuckles and a lecture about how sad his mother would be if he killed himself by pulling high.

Why? we were told pulling from lowest point (lowest centre of gravity) was safest and lessened chance of a "back flip"

We were taught back flips was leading cause of tractor deaths. This was before advent of roll bars.

So I only use a hole higher than very bottom for the top link only if I need sharper angle or lift change.

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #13  
I use different holes for different implements.

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #14  
Mine has 3 holes. I mainly use the middle one, However when I use my post hole digger I find that attaching to the lower hole allows me to lift the auger further off the ground. If I use the upper holes, the auger drags along the ground as I drive around and I have more trouble positioning the auger at the point I wish to dig a hole.

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #15  
What matters first is not the implement lift or angle, or the center of gravity, but whether the tractor has draft control.
It's easy to tell if it does by looking to see if the attachment point on the tractor is a pivot .... or is it solid to the rear casting. Post #7 has some info.
Lots of mis-understanding about how draft control works.
rScotty

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #17  
The lower hole gives you more lift height but it also reduces the lift capacity.
90cummins

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #18  
What matters first is not the implement lift or angle, or the center of gravity, but whether the tractor has draft control.
It's easy to tell if it does by looking to see if the attachment point on the tractor is a pivot .... or is it solid to the rear casting. Post #7 has some info.
Lots of mis-understanding about how draft control works.
rScotty
There’s a little more than that. On my tractor, I get more lift on my rear blade if I use the bottom hole. When I’m traveling over rough ground or moving a dirt pile, several inches of more lift is a good thing.

Last edited:
   / 3 holes for top link on tractor end #19  
Hi all, I did a little search but taking the easy way out.
On my Kubota I have a grader bar on the 3 point hitch
Which of the 3 holes for top link will lift the grader bar off the ground the most?
Is there ant downside? I am just dragging the blade and lifting the blade.
How will it affect the Bush Hog or the York Rake?
Thanks
Bruce
Lower hole will result in a bit more lift.

Unless you have draft control (your L4701 almost certainly does not), it makes little difference.

Why not vary so as to equalize wear?

/ 3 holes for top link on tractor end #20  
Hi all, I did a little search but taking the easy way out.
On my Kubota I have a grader bar on the 3 point hitch
Which of the 3 holes for top link will lift the grader bar off the ground the most?
Is there ant downside? I am just dragging the blade and lifting the blade.
How will it affect the Bush Hog or the York Rake?
Thanks
Bruce

The previous 3 posters are right. Draft control comes into play on your grader and York rake. Lower or middle hole will give you light to medium sensitivity on the top link, then fine adjustment with the draft control lever. Both of these holes will give you more height than the top.
What no one asked or addressed is, are your lift struts, vertical rods attaching the rockers to the lift arms, pinned in the top or at least middle holes where they attach to the arms?

The Bushhog can be attached to bottom hole on the center rocker and the draft turned off.

By the way, the top hole on the rocker will not flip the tractor If the 3pt is hooked up. If, though, a chain is attached to the rear of the tractor above the center line on the axle, then the potential exists.
Also, the maximum 3 pt lift is achieved at the lowest hole on the rocker.