3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #1  

THEPARTYHOUND

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2240 MFWA (SOLD); Kioti RX7320
I recently picked up a 3 bottom rollover plow. Ive spent a few hours plowing with it today and I'm learning to use it. This is the very first time I've plowed a field, so I have zero prior experience in that regard. I'm questioning if I have it set up right. I'm kinda thinking not, although I think my plowed field is turning out good. I know that my front plow bottom is not doing any work when my rear tire is down in the empty furrow as it is nearly in line with my rear tire and my rears are at their widest setting. Was this plow designed to not drop your tires down into the empty furrow? I did try that once and ended up creating a dead furrow I will have to fix later with the land plane. Also, seems like it was hard to keep the tires from dropping down into the furrow because the tires had to be right next to it in order for the front plow bottom to break up that piece of ground. Anyhow, out with the pics. Hopefully between the pics ya can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. 20190331_145650.jpg20190331_145728.jpg20190331_145753.jpg20190331_193343.jpg

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #2  
If you have the plow centered on the tractor with your stabilizers, then your tires are set too narrow for the plow.

Rollover plows are nice, I have a 2 bottom rollover that I use with my Ford 3000, but I have a hard time getting both sides to plow the same.

The idea is to have all the shares running at the same depth and with the front share level with the ground when the plow is in the ground.

With a standard plow you can shorten the lift linkage on the side of the plow that runs in the furrow (after the opening furrow is made). This allows the plow to sit level relative to the ground.

This is almost impossible to accomplish with a rollover since you plow going both ways and you can't constantly be shortening the linkage on the moldboard side.

It is a nice convenience, but I can never get the ground to 'match' as nice when plowing one way compared to the other.

This has been my experience anyway.

Mike

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #3  
Are your wheels still set like they are in this photo, if so you still have some adjustment left? Leave the centers as they are but switch the outer rims from side to side. The mounting ears on the rims are also offset and by switching them you will gain some more width.

IMG_0957.jpg

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #4  
Your tires need to be moved out, are those 16" bottoms?
When you set the plow on the ground the point should be about 16" in from the inside of the tire.
If you want to try plowing with the tractor on land move your tires in a few inches it will take some practice to maintain the right spaceing.
Good luck

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #5  
If you have the plow centered on the tractor with your stabilizers, then your tires are set too narrow for the plow.

Rollover plows are nice, I have a 2 bottom rollover that I use with my Ford 3000, but I have a hard time getting both sides to plow the same.

The idea is to have all the shares running at the same depth and with the front share level with the ground when the plow is in the ground.

With a standard plow you can shorten the lift linkage on the side of the plow that runs in the furrow (after the opening furrow is made). This allows the plow to sit level relative to the ground.

This is almost impossible to accomplish with a rollover since you plow going both ways and you can't constantly be shortening the linkage on the moldboard side.

It is a nice convenience, but I can never get the ground to 'match' as nice when plowing one way compared to the other.

This has been my experience anyway.

Mike

You shouldn’t be using lower link stabilizers for plowing. The plow needs to be adjusted so that it pulls centered naturally.

As others have mentioned the OP will need a wider wheel spacing to run the rollover plow properly. Most likely 72” centers will work for a 3 bottom 16”.

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions
Bumpkin, yes wheels are still set the same. I'm afraid that I'm not following you on getting them set wider. Are you saying to take the outer wheel off the center and turn it so the valve stem points in?

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions
LouNY, Yes, these are 16" bottoms. When I set the plow down the front plow is only about 6" from the inside of the tire. I thought that my wheels were set as wide as possible, but it sounds like I might be able to gain a little more. I wouldn't think that I'd be able to gain much but every bit helps. I will try plowing with the stabilizers disconnected tomorrow. Maybe that is the problem.

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #8  
You will be fighting the plow to steer your tractor if using stabilizers.

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #9  
Bumpkin, yes wheels are still set the same. I'm afraid that I'm not following you on getting them set wider. Are you saying to take the outer wheel off the center and turn it so the valve stem points in?

If you take the center disc off the rim turning it may make for a wider stance but your directional tread will be backward unless you change to the opposite side of the tractor.

/ 3 Bottom rollover plow (IH140 plow) questions #10  
Are your wheels still set like they are in this photo, if so you still have some adjustment left? Leave the centers as they are but switch the outer rims from side to side. The mounting ears on the rims are also offset and by switching them you will gain some more width.

View attachment 598276

I think countrybumpkin is right. There should be a little bit more room to gain. I measured the distance between my rear wheels this morning. I think I've got mine as wide as they can get: 53.5". Here's a photo of the way the dish and rim are setup on mine to get this.
WheelSpacing.jpgWheelDish.jpg