3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ?

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Anyone make a round 3” gooseneck receiver or adapter?
My current Kaufman trailer is set up for 3” ball, but the gooseneck hitch is square.
I think all the 3” couplers are square, but thats just based on what I've seen on line.

Found this on etrailer

Last edited:
   / 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ?
No
What Im looking for is on the trailer side, not the truck side.
For example, lets say you have a 3” ball already set up in your truck bed.
You buy a gooseneck trailer with a 2&5/16” hitch on it.
How would you convert it (trailer) to 3”?

From everything I see, trailers with round tube receivers are 2&5/16”. Only square has 3”.
Heres my Kaufman with 3”
Notice the hitch is square, not round tube.

1646582496211.jpeg

So what I am trying to figure out is how to purchase a GN trailer with a round 2&5/16” receiver and convert it to 3”

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #4  
No
What Im looking for is on the trailer side, not the truck side.
For example, lets say you have a 3” ball already set up in your truck bed.
You buy a gooseneck trailer with a 2&5/16” hitch on it.
How would you convert it (trailer) to 3”?

From everything I see, trailers with round tube receivers are 2&5/16”. Only square has 3”.
Heres my Kaufman with 3”
Notice the hitch is square, not round tube.

View attachment 736139

So what I am trying to figure out is how to purchase a GN trailer with a round 2&5/16” receiver and convert it to 3”
gotcha, far as I know, you cant convert your trailers, just swap the truck balls.

Last edited:
   / 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #8  
You should be able to take that ball coupler linked in the first post and weld it to a chunk of 4" round to use in the exiting trailer neck. If it's an odd size like 4.25, you could probably cut the 2 5/16" close and use the existing tubing.
Other option would be to skinny wheel the round neck off the trailer and weld on a whole square setup, but that's a lot more work for the same basic result.

You should be able to take that ball coupler linked in the first post and weld it to a chunk of 4" round to use in the exiting trailer neck. If it's an odd size like 4.25, you could probably cut the 2 5/16" close and use the existing tubing.
Other option would be to skinny wheel the round neck off the trailer and weld on a whole square setup, but that's a lot more work for the same basic result.
Yeah I was thinking same, but then I began to wonder why doesnt anyone take the 3” coupler in the link and simply add an inner tube to the top, so we dont have to weld anything?

/ 3” ball round Gooseneck hitch ? #10  
Probably for liability reasons, as some chucklehead would put it on the lightest trailer he could find and try and haul a D-6, winding up on the towing something wrong thread.
Standardization makes sense, you want all the light plugs and ball hitches to be the same size, and putting heavier hitches on the lighter stuff is the only way to do it safely.