Flail Mower 2nd request to identify ? flail mower

/ 2nd request to identify ? flail mower #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I made a post on 08-10-2011 with pictures and asked for help in identifying this mower. I was running into difficulty reassembling the unit since I either lost my pictures of the step by step dis assembly or I didn't take any (well over a year ago as I waited for some machine shop to fabricate me a female 1 1/8 spline to weld onto the side shaft. I didn't want to use a TSC spline because it was made of ?metal from India, having torn one up last year converting a Ford Pto 1 1/8 shaft to a 1 3/8 Pto coupler(yolk).
Well since that Post, I was able to reassemble the unit having replaced 2 bearings and fabricating my own spline connection to the side shaft. But after a short trial mowing, everything went haywire at the gear box. The pinion gear migrates into the driving gear in the round gear box. I can't seem to find if this requires spring clip to restrain it in position or what. I tried Red treadloc on the outer races of the two bearings of the pinion gear shaft but it didn't hold. I am hoping that if the unit can be identified I can get a schematic to see what I am missing. I have gone through all the New Holland catalogs to include Ford 907, 917, 919 etc but find no matches to mine.
Appreciate your help, or I'll retreat back to my old Bush Hog.:confused:

Attachments

• 2011-08-23 006.JPG
    2011-08-23 006.JPG
    611.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 2011-08-23 002.JPG
    2011-08-23 002.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 132
  • 2011-08-23 001.JPG
    2011-08-23 001.JPG
    756.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2011-08-23 005.JPG
    2011-08-23 005.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 120
   / 2nd request to identify ? flail mower #2  
No stampings or casting # on the case?

take some more pictures of the whole thing for us to get a better idea of what you have.

It actually looks like a snap ring or spacer is missing to keep the bevel gear out in position against the ring gear.

the tapered roller bearings should be tightened some how with no play in them usually a skf nut or shims to get the pressure correct on them

/ 2nd request to identify ? flail mower #4  
I've looking on the web for ones with the big ring gear

almo looks close
Interstater5.jpg

most of the ones pictured in the have a 1/1 90degree gear box yours looks like it it speeds up the shaft some what,that is what i was looking for in the pictures on the web

tom

/ 2nd request to identify ? flail mower
tommu56: Please refer to my original posting of 08-10-2011 attachments for the pictures of the unit. If they are insufficient, I'll retake them and resubmit or re post if that is permissible.
Thank You, docrocky

/ 2nd request to identify ? flail mower
tommu56: Thanks again. I looked up Alamo/Mott at the Montage link and the parts they show appear to be identical to the components of mine. I wish I could find a detailed schematic other than individual parts listings. It appears that there are threads on the pinion shaft to apply a holding nut but I can't see how it peeps the shaft from migrating into the gear box then against the round driving gear. The gear box in you picture looks identical to mine which is round.
docrocky

/ 2nd request to identify ? flail mower #8  
DocRocky,

If you have a thread shaft you will have a lock nut and a tab washer to lock the bearing and shaft in place holding it against the casting shoulder with a hardened washer possibly and you take up the slack in the bearing due to wear over time.

It might be quicker to call Wengers of Myerstown to see if they have a flailmower that can be parted out for the round reduction gearbox our ordering a gearbox from flail master if they have one with the identical output shaft diameter.

I realise I am armchair quarter backing here but I want you to succeed also.