2410 or 2710

/ 2410 or 2710 #1  

Cathy

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I am considering a 2410 or a 2710. I have 2 1/2 acres, 1 acre is my yard, the rest is a field including my garden space.I will be using it mostly for mowing the yard & field, & for my 1/4 acre garden in the summer I'll be tilling or disking it. There was approx 600-800 difference in the retail price, so my son thinks I should get the 2710 in case I ever buy more land when we retire. Any suggestions? Someone suggested if I ever wanted to sell my tractor, the 27 HP might be more desirable to buyers. I won't have a loader at first but someday may want one for moving mulch etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

/ 2410 or 2710 #2  
Cathy, I just responded to your other message before I saw this one. I agree with your son. You'll probably be happy with either tractor, but folks do tend to trade up in size (as I did last year) and seldom trade down. The 2710 is probably bigger than you need, but it's better to have more than you need than to wish you had more, especially if you think you may get more land later.

Bird

/ 2410 or 2710 #3  
Cathy, One of the things I find is the prices between tractor models (once you get up around 15000.00) tends to be so close that you decide on one but when you look at the next higher model and the added benifits outweigh the extra cost. The issue with me comes down to size, if you can fit it in the barn go for it!!! Tim Allen knows MORE POWER is better, you hardly if ever hear someone say I wish I had bought the lighter duty model. For example I purchased a new truck last year (1/2 ton) I am now in the market for a new tractor and am kicking myself for not paying a few hundred more for a 3/4 ton (1/2 not enough to pull the tractor) As far as a 2410 most people I have talked to go 2710 first but then the 2910 is close enough in price they go for broke. Not one of them including any person on this forum has regretted (that I have seen) And thats my 2 cents.......Good luck Happy shopping /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Steve

/ 2410 or 2710 #4  
Another note, a local dealer in my area has 6 2410's in stock. Can't keep 2710's or 2910's in stock /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif 2910 has tilt, cruise (great for mowing) and the 3 point hitch is more simple to use plus 3 more HP/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 2410 or 2710 #5  
Cathy,

I have 8 acres and a New Holland TC18, 18.5 hp tractor, HST, 4x4. This is more than enough tractor to do everything you mentioned and more. I don't have power steering but it is available and you could get this unit for around $10,000 with the power steering. Most people seem to want more hp whether they think they'll use it or not.

Another thing to consider, as I did, is if your primary purpose is mowing, how much weight do you want to continuously put on your lawn? I notice some lawn compaction with my tractor at about 1500 lbs. It's really nice to be able to afford a tractor but lots of people do one acre and a garden with a lawn tractor and a rototiller.
My neighbors mow at least two acres with an MTD tractor with about a 42-46" mowing deck, and they rototill a very large garden with a walk behind.

Not trying to discourage you, just think that the smaller diesel tractors will do way more than most people think they will! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ 2410 or 2710 #6  
Now JimBinMI, of course you're right that a smaller tractor will get the job done, and walk behind tillers will do a garden. But with walk behind tillers, smaller tractors, and no power steering, you just get to work harder and longer./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif And I know because I had a good rear tine counter rotating walk behind tiller that I sold when I got one to go on the tractor, and I had a 16 hp tractor (without power steering) that got a lot of work done. Now I like using a tractor, but I don't want it to be a lot of work if I can help it./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Bigger is more comfortable and faster.

Bird

/ 2410 or 2710 #7  
Bird,

You've heard me sing this song before! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I just can't help visualizing a 24-36 hp tractor on 3/4-3 acres. What a waste of resources! I also believe that new lookers don't know what a diesel engine will do. They see a craftsman tractor with a 20 hp gas engine and don't know that a 16 hp diesel will kick its butt! I also think that the lawn compaction is a good issue.

Don't you use a lawn tractor to mow your lawn and not your B2710?

I think I'll start a topic on "Who honestly knows that they bought more tractor than they'll ever need?" or "Who didn't realize how tough their tractor would be and bought bigger because of it?"! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Wouldn't your old Kubota have done everything that Cathy wants out of a tractor? I just don't think we do new lookers a fair service when we get the "Tim the Toolman Taylor" thing going on!

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ 2410 or 2710 #8  
Any of the "B" series tractors (either of the two BX models, the B7400, B7500 all the way up to the B2900) will more than take care of your "needs" as you have defined them.

They are all fine tractors, but I believe that a "value per dollar" cost analysis tend to drive most people to one of the BXs (an excellent value for the money) or all the way to the B2710/B2910.

Given the fact that no dealer can keep a BX on the lot, you should have no problem re-selling in the future if the need arises. Of course you may have a problem finding one yourself.

The problems the BX series may present you is that while its 3pt hitch is supposedly the industry standard category "1", it seems that it's shorter lift arms makes attaching some generic implements very difficult. You would certainly want to check that out before you purchase. Also read all of the owner's BX postings on this site.

You'll also want to check out all of the discussions on "Mid-mowers vs 3pt mowers" since you plan to use other 3pt implements and the mid-mower may get in the way.

/ 2410 or 2710 #9  
Hi JimBinMI

I can tell you what a 30 hp B2910 looks like on 2/3 of an acre....BIG!!!. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

~Rick

P.S. I'd take a picture to show you, but I'd have to stand all the way in the neighbors yard to get the tractor to fit in the photo. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 2410 or 2710 #10  
Yep, JimBinMI, the little tractors will do most of the jobs, and yes, my B7100 would do what Cathy says she's going to do, but my B2710 will do it more comfortably. But after a person buys a tractor, I think they usually find other things to do with it that they didn't think of before buying (and Cathy's question included a comment about the possibility of getting more land). If folks bought more tractor than they would ever need, they'd be trading down wouldn't they? And I'm sure that's happened, but more frequently they trade up in size.

The only reason I bought the B7100 in 1995 instead of a bigger tractor was $$$$$./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

And nope, I don't mow the yard with a lawn tractor; sold my 38" cut Cub Cadet when I bought the B2710 which now mows the yard in half the time and a lot more comfortably./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

However, I do think it's good for Cathy (and anyone else) to know of the different opinions. There's definitely a place and need for the smaller tractors, and they are certainly preferable for some applications.

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 6/17/00 06:58 AM.</FONT></P>