2305 transmission question

/ 2305 transmission question #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
I was looking at a 2305 with a friend that might purchase it. It has ~320 hours but has sat out in the weather for the last 2 years not really being used. You can tell its been rained on a few times.

Anyway, the sight glass in the transmission had 0 oil in it. I don't know how much actual oil is in there and where the other oil has gone. I could not spy a leak.

Is this an instant deal killer? I told him not to drive it until it was filled and there was no fluid onsite, so we did not see if it even moved.

/ 2305 transmission question #2  
2305 doesn't have a stellar reputation as it is. Aluminum rear end is thin around the PTO shaft area and can break fairly easily - so expensive you pretty much have totaled it at that point.
Also has a problematic cooling fan for the tranny that is easy to break and hell to replace.

Personally I would not look serious at this model if unless the price was dirt cheap and it would be used more like a lawnmower with a belly mount deck instead of with the 3pt. PTO attachments. Box blade or some such is fine.

Last edited:
   / 2305 transmission question #3  
Are you sure no oil in the sight glass? Trans/hydraulic oil can be so clear it's hard to see.

/ 2305 transmission question
Are you sure no oil in the sight glass? Trans/hydraulic oil can be so clear it's hard to see.
Yeah, it was for sure empty in the sight glass

/ 2305 transmission question
Yeah I told him to take a pass. It would have been mostly for mowing but why take a chance. It was in the 8k range as far as price but guy said he was still negotiable.