2030 Hydraulic service

/ 2030 Hydraulic service #1  

limitedwave

Tractor
John Deere 2030
Hi! After y'all correctly identified my problem with PTO not getting power (lever switch needed replacing) I've put a handful of hours on this fine machine. Occasionally the steering loses its assist power, and today the 3 pt dropped out as well - it went down and wouldn't come back up for a minute. I'm pretty sure from reading posts about it that I need to drain and replace the fluid and also check the filter screen. I did this maintenance on my last tractor no probs. I know I need to buy a service manual but for a lotta reasons I don't wanna drop another hundred bucks on something for the tractor if you read me. (give it a month or two and I'm on it) Meanwhile, I need to at a minimum add some hydraulic fluid surely.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to the drain, fill, and filter areas. ? All I see in posts is diagrams of pumps and what not, people who already know where these things are and what to look for. I'm not a mechanic and have very occasional experience with stuff like this. I can tell what some of things are looking at the tractor, but not like you guys.

Also - the clutch side of the body seems to be having some fluid splashed out near the steering column. Picture attached. Perhaps part of this problem?

Attachments

• 2030side.png
    2030side.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 827
   / 2030 Hydraulic service #2  
Hi! After y'all correctly identified my problem with PTO not getting power (lever switch needed replacing) I've put a handful of hours on this fine machine. Occasionally the steering loses its assist power, and today the 3 pt dropped out as well - it went down and wouldn't come back up for a minute. I'm pretty sure from reading posts about it that I need to drain and replace the fluid and also check the filter screen. I did this maintenance on my last tractor no probs. I know I need to buy a service manual but for a lotta reasons I don't wanna drop another hundred bucks on something for the tractor if you read me. (give it a month or two and I'm on it) Meanwhile, I need to at a minimum add some hydraulic fluid surely.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to the drain, fill, and filter areas. ? All I see in posts is diagrams of pumps and what not, people who already know where these things are and what to look for. I'm not a mechanic and have very occasional experience with stuff like this. I can tell what some of things are looking at the tractor, but not like you guys.

Also - the clutch side of the body seems to be having some fluid splashed out near the steering column. Picture attached. Perhaps part of this problem?
Lucky for you and your oilleak under the steering WE can see the PTO lever and see that it's a IPTO in the tractor.
To understand the hydraulics in this tractor ...you talk about the lowpressure (PTO) and the hipressure(3piont and steering)
2 diff sisteems in that tractor.
For cleering something a photo of the PTO switch would be nice ? I only know about the lever to operate the pto.( yellow one between the gearlevers )

/ 2030 Hydraulic service #3  
Can't tell without the hood off and a picture but, if it's like my 2240 you have a charge pump in the transmission that provides hydraulic oil to a tank in front that feeds the high pressure pump on the front. The charge pump also provides oil to engage the pto clutch. I think there is a port somewhere to check the charge pump pressure. You can look at the tank in front and see if it's filling with oil.
This setup is known to have problems with the pickup tube for the low pressure pump. Requires a tractor split to get at it.

/ 2030 Hydraulic service #6  
Trans sump screen(key 15) & hyd filter relief valve(keys 7-9) should be cheeked when trans oil has been drained. Trans oil should be checked with engine running at idle speed. Hyd oil filler hole is behind seat.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    56.8 KB · Views: 301
   / 2030 Hydraulic service
Wow thx guys. This all adds up to take it to the shop. Sounds over my head.

/ 2030 Hydraulic service #8  
It wouldn't surprise me if you take your tractor to a JD dealer to change hyd oil & filters that the bill wouldn't be between $500-$1000

/ 2030 Hydraulic service #9  
Wow thx guys. This all adds up to take it to the shop. Sounds over my head.
I've got the 2040 service manual. Might be close enough to help you but, it's 177 MB

/ 2030 Hydraulic service
You know you're right, it'll be expensive. All I do is mow fields slowly lololol. Was thinking yeah, I'ma just get my neighbor and his dad to help me check it out. Then I see this news of an electronic copy of the service manual on the 2040....might be? If you know how to use FTP I can give you creds to upload it to a server. Or yousendit.com will do it for free, or Dropbox. Email me at limitedwave at gmail dot com we can work it out. Thanky thanky y'all.