2024 garden season

/ 2024 garden season #21  
Yes they are, here's a couple more pics from last year when prepping to cook some down to make several tomato products I preserve. Another cut crossways picture, then one when cutting a half of one into 6 pieces before going into a large stockpot to cook down before going through the Squeezo food mill.

The flavor is outstanding to my taste. More of a balanced flavor between sweet and acidic. They are both a great slicer and canner. Win-win in my book. The Celebrity/Celebrity Plus is pretty close to it in flavor and being that solid.

I read my post above and need to edit it to read the Celebrity Plus is a little more tolerant to blight. But I also spray them all every 7-10 days with Aspirin water. Put 1 uncoated aspirin per gallon of water in a pump sprayer and spray the plants, I do it in the evening so it plants will have time to absorb it. There are articles about it boosting the plants immune system against blight and has been studied and found it does help. Not 100% but does extend the season.

The hard part was finding "uncoated" Aspirin. I looked at several Pharmacy's with no luck even with store help. Finally found them at Dollar General, 100 ct. bottle for 99 cents. I found it better to put in a small glass jar I have an hour or so before spraying to dissolve. Then pour that into the sprayer and fill. I usually rinse the jar, put 2 more in for the next time, so I'm ready to go.

I also read that spraying plants with Kaolin Clay helps a lot getting through hot weather preventing heat stress. I got it to spray cucumbers and spaghetti squash to keep the cuke beetles off. It did seem to get them through some pretty hot weather last year when the plants normally wilt down and did seem to help keep producing bloom when they usually stop putting on bloom in hot weather.

It too goes a long way as it takes 1 cup per gallon of water. My main concern was mixing it and it staying suspended in water in the sprayer, and not plugging the strainer in the bottom of the sprayer, and nozzle. Hanging on the shop wall was a plaster mixer I bought 15 years ago to do some repairs at the other place I sold. Put it in my cordless drill on the low side to mix. I put a gallon of water in a 5 gallon bucket, place the mixer in the water and start it up. Sprinkle in the Kaolin Clay. It mixed it very well, then pour in the sprayer. I use a 1 gallon sprayer so it'd be easier to shake if needed. It stays pretty well suspended but do give it a good shake when it get down to about half, and there is very little left in the bottom when empty.

There are several YouTube videos on it, some good, some not so good. Most mix it by hand, or just shake the sprayer, I like my method much better. I even dunked my cuke and squash plants in it a few hours before setting out to dry to help keep the cuke beetles off. It supposedly gets on their antennae and irritates them and they stay away from those plants. It seemed to work very well for that. I was hoping it would help prevent vine borer but didn't seem to help. That's something I need to work on this year. Whether wrapping stems with aluminum foil, ground coffee, or Dematiaceous Earth, maybe all 3. I'd just like to get a successful crop of spaghetti squash without vine borer killing the plants.

1707479551203.png

1707479370082.png

Attachments

• 20230612_192618.jpg
    20230612_192618.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
   / 2024 garden season #22  
Yes they are, here's a couple more pics from last year when prepping to cook some down to make several tomato products I preserve. Another cut crossways picture, then one when cutting a half of one into 6 pieces before going into a large stockpot to cook down before going through the Squeezo food mill.

The flavor is outstanding to my taste. More of a balanced flavor between sweet and acidic. They are both a great slicer and canner. Win-win in my book. The Celebrity/Celebrity Plus is pretty close to it in flavor and being that solid.

I read my post above and need to edit it to read the Celebrity Plus is a little more tolerant to blight. But I also spray them all every 7-10 days with Aspirin water. Put 1 uncoated aspirin per gallon of water in a pump sprayer and spray the plants, I do it in the evening so it plants will have time to absorb it. There are articles about it boosting the plants immune system against blight and has been studied and found it does help. Not 100% but does extend the season.

The hard part was finding "uncoated" Aspirin. I looked at several Pharmacy's with no luck even with store help. Finally found them at Dollar General, 100 ct. bottle for 99 cents. I found it better to put in a small glass jar I have an hour or so before spraying to dissolve. Then pour that into the sprayer and fill. I usually rinse the jar, put 2 more in for the next time, so I'm ready to go.

I also read that spraying plants with Kaolin Clay helps a lot getting through hot weather preventing heat stress. I got it to spray cucumbers and spaghetti squash to keep the cuke beetles off. It did seem to get them through some pretty hot weather last year when the plants normally wilt down and did seem to help keep producing bloom when they usually stop putting on bloom in hot weather.

It too goes a long way as it takes 1 cup per gallon of water. My main concern was mixing it and it staying suspended in water in the sprayer, and not plugging the strainer in the bottom of the sprayer, and nozzle. Hanging on the shop wall was a plaster mixer I bought 15 years ago to do some repairs at the other place I sold. Put it in my cordless drill on the low side to mix. I put a gallon of water in a 5 gallon bucket, place the mixer in the water and start it up. Sprinkle in the Kaolin Clay. It mixed it very well, then pour in the sprayer. I use a 1 gallon sprayer so it'd be easier to shake if needed. It stays pretty well suspended but do give it a good shake when it get down to about half, and there is very little left in the bottom when empty.

There are several YouTube videos on it, some good, some not so good. Most mix it by hand, or just shake the sprayer, I like my method much better. I even dunked my cuke and squash plants in it a few hours before setting out to dry to help keep the cuke beetles off. It supposedly gets on their antennae and irritates them and they stay away from those plants. It seemed to work very well for that. I was hoping it would help prevent vine borer but didn't seem to help. That's something I need to work on this year. Whether wrapping stems with aluminum foil, ground coffee, or Dematiaceous Earth, maybe all 3. I'd just like to get a successful crop of spaghetti squash without vine borer killing the plants.

View attachment 851268

View attachment 851267

Have been wanting to try the clay on plants.
Where did your get it.

/ 2024 garden season #23  
I got mine though Berlin Seeds. Berlin Seeds I bought a 25 lb. bag, it goes a lot further than what I thought. It should easily last me 5 years maybe more. I had a seed order in and they had the best price, including shipping. I'm thinking shipping/handling cost an extra $8.50, but sure couldn't drive there for that.

If I remember correctly, searching Google for Kaolin Clay most results were in small pkgs. Searching for Surround WP got a lot more results in the 25 lb. bags. Prices are all over the place, you'll just have to look and see which works for you in your location. Product prices may be inline with others, but some shipping prices can get crazy.

/ 2024 garden season #24  
I got mine though Berlin Seeds. Berlin Seeds I bought a 25 lb. bag, it goes a lot further than what I thought. It should easily last me 5 years maybe more. I had a seed order in and they had the best price, including shipping. I'm thinking shipping/handling cost an extra $8.50, but sure couldn't drive there for that.

If I remember correctly, searching Google for Kaolin Clay most results were in small pkgs. Searching for Surround WP got a lot more results in the 25 lb. bags. Prices are all over the place, you'll just have to look and see which works for you in your location. Product prices may be inline with others, but some shipping prices can get crazy.

Thanks. A buddy of mine gets all of his seeds from them.

/ 2024 garden season #25  
Thanks. A buddy of mine gets all of his seeds from them.
If he got a new catalog, it should be listed in there with current price. I got mine about a month ago, but never looked at the price.

/ 2024 garden season #26  
I’ve bought from True Leaf in the past and had great experiences. I got an email the other day talking about how they have finally been able to REDUCE prices for the first time since the plandemic madness

/ 2024 garden season #27  
I looked at my new Berlin Catalog today, and the price is $48.60 for 25 lb. up $5 from last year. 5 lb. bag is $14.90, if you have a small garden and want to experiment. Pretty easy to compare prices now days on the internet. Of course, you have to figure in shipping to get the best over all price.

The description seems to be much larger this year too, telling it helps prevent many pests like Mexican Bean Beetles on beans Thrips, etc.

/ 2024 garden season #28  
Friday we went to see my new granddaughter for the first time, this is big brother seeing his little sister for the first time. He was so intrigued by this new little gal.

Saturday we (grandson and I) planted four bare root (dormant) Hale Haven Peach trees I bought from TSC. The roots are pretty pathetic, but we will see. I cut them back very hard to survive their ravaged root system. Didn't pay a lot for them. He was finding worms and feeding them to the chickens the whole time.

1707691006938.png

1707690430622.png

1707690611888.png

/ 2024 garden season
My neighbor gets the rr sweetcorn seed and plants his side of the river then drives over and plants my plot. We found the kind he gets to be WAY better than regular kinds. Not all rr sweet corn varieties are good. Not sure what he gets but in the past we found Wyffles corn to be the best on the planet! lol!

/ 2024 garden season
Starting seed boxes in the greenhouse now. Hope it works. Really need a small heater in there.

Attachments

• 20240308_180044.jpg
    20240308_180044.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240308_180000.jpg
    20240308_180000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39