2022 GMC Canyon

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #21  
My dad is a Ford guy (sorta) so felt he should buy a new Ranger. But he couldn't live with the tiny short bed. So he got the extended cab, not crew, and the backseat is a joke. Too small for kids even, what is the point? Wish they had offered a crew cab, longer bed option - the 2.3L ecoboost has plenty of grunt to power it around.
The crew cab/short box must be the configuration that most wanted because:

"The 2023 Colorado will offer just one bed length and cab size, a four-door crew cab with a 5-foot 2-inch bed. The previous Colorado, which went on sale as a 2015 model, also offered a 6-foot 2-inch bed and a smaller extended cab model with a cramped rear seat and rear-hinged "suicide" doors."
A shame...that kind of crosses the Colorado off the list for me. I have no need or interest in a pickup with a back seat, the extended cab is all I'd ever need. Almost never carry more than one passenger. Too bad, I'd taken a test drive in one a couple years ago and liked it. Will the GMC version also be that way only?

The gas mileage you report is quite impressive. Keep us up on your experiences with it over time.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #22  
WHY do people make such a big deal over that? I realize that it was a marketing ploy back when the S-10 came out yet it's really more of a talking point than a problem. I can understand if all that you do is drive around with 4x8 sheets of plywood in back, but for the average pickup user that's just one of the reasons to buy a truck. I drove 450 miles in my Colorado yesterday. With my Silverado it would have cost around $94.00 in gas. Instead I paid $76.00. That's just one reason I have a Colorado.
The logic on pickup marketing escapes me at times. Seems that every truck ad you see seems to focus on its supposed off-road capabilities, how many people actually do the kind of recreational off roading they show in the ads? Nobody I know.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #23  
The logic on pickup marketing escapes me at times. Seems that every truck ad you see seems to focus on its supposed off-road capabilities, how many people actually do the kind of recreational off roading they show in the ads? Nobody I know.
I deal with the guys who buy them starting right about now... they buy a brand new pickup, put on a lift kit and big tires, then come up to go "hunting." There's NO WAY they're going to scratch their brand new pickup so I'm supposed to pull over for them.
\
\
They learn.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #24  
Simple, it's the bigger dick syndrome.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon
Tough guy trucks. At least in the past you had to build one, now you can spec it out at the dealer. There is a gentleman with a blue Ram TRX that gets his morning coffee at the same place I do. I wonder if he encounters any wild jumps on the way there? I haven't seen any.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon
BTW - I topped off the tank with (was just under half on the fuel gauge) 12.30 gallons and traveled 283 miles. 23 mpg to date mixed with some idling and stop and go driving over the weekend. Dash meter was registering 21.5 (the meter averages the last 50 miles).

Back on my morning commute, normal highway speeds (~70 mph with traffic) and a bit of town driving and the dash meter registers 27.5 mpg.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #27  
(the meter averages the last 50 miles).
If you push the button on the end of the blinker stem you can probably change that. Mine will show for the last 25, 50, or 450 miles. (That may have changed in the last 4 years since mine was made) I once checked the 450 mile reading and found that it’s within 3% of the actual mileage.
The best I’ve seen on the 25 was 29.7, which was on it when I bought the truck. One time I managed to match that while traveling along a river. ( no hills).

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #28  
Those Canyons can't tow squat! (just pulling your chain, seen here is a ranger)
containertrailer1800.jpg

/ 2022 GMC Canyon
I might not try that with the F450!

/ 2022 GMC Canyon
Update - still loving the truck. Filled up today, hand calc'ed average a 25.1 and the average per tank on the computer said 25.

Jstpssng - figured out the fuel thing using the steering wheel controls. Has the same choices 25, 50 and 450. No stalk control though.

Sunday I spent some time under the truck, applying NH Oil Undercoating and Fluid Film. I sprayed the inside and outside of the frame rails (got a little hose doodad for cans of fluid film) and did the inside of the rocker panels. Made a mess of the driveway. When NH OU says you can do this yourself if you don't mind getting dirty, thats a huge understatement. Its positively disgusting.

I've added Weathertech floor liners, some cheap seat covers and have a few other things to do. Couple of questions for you guys:
- I think I want to put a spray in bedliner. Any thoughts?
- It has the tow package but not the optional brake controller. I wish GM would just include that. Any suggestions on the controller? It won't tow often, but I think I want something better that the Reese in the dump truck.