2020 Superduty

/ 2020 Superduty #11  
.....just like you want a bigger Kubota model....eh-h-h dodge man:D

My 1999 SuperDuty just keeps on ticking........So it's hard to justify a new one at the price Ford wants. Besides, there would be too many "bells and whistles" for me to figure out.:laughing:

Cheers,
Mike

So many wants, so few needs.

/ 2020 Superduty #12  
I cant help but wonder if they designed the new big gas motor to 7.3L just to grab the 'good reputation feeling' that came with the old 7.3L powerstroke diesels... marketing ploy?

Not keeping up with new truck advertising and hype, this thread is the first I've heard of the new gas 7.3L.

Like Bdog above, I'll stick with my diesels as long as I can... my current driver, an F250 superduty with the 5.4 gas motor is nothing compaired to my 7.3L. Haven't pulled a trailer with it yet, hope I don't have to. But with no cat and dual exhaust, it does sound good!

/ 2020 Superduty #13  
These big gassers are favored by crews who need to let the truck idling for hours. Diesel likes to work hard and does best when heavy towing and long hauls. But for stationary work on sites, city county and state crews, general construction crews, etc, I can see this new gasser as a real winner.

Last edited:
   / 2020 Superduty #14  
Diesel has been around a dollar more a gallon than gas up here in Michigan.... If you are not pulling much, only occasionally, gas is a pretty good option. I had a 2001.5 Dodge Cummins 6 speed for about 16 years, and it was mostly used running fairly empty. Driving a 7000 pound truck, doing repairs, extra maint that diesels seem to desire, plus the extra cost up front when you buy it. Something to think about. But you still should buy what you want. You only have X amount of years to play in your life before you die. :)

/ 2020 Superduty #15  
I cant help but wonder if they designed the new big gas motor to 7.3L just to grab the 'good reputation feeling' that came with the old 7.3L powerstroke diesels... marketing ploy?

Not keeping up with new truck advertising and hype, this thread is the first I've heard of the new gas 7.3L.

Like Bdog above, I'll stick with my diesels as long as I can... my current driver, an F250 superduty with the 5.4 gas motor is nothing compaired to my 7.3L. Haven't pulled a trailer with it yet, hope I don't have to. But with no cat and dual exhaust, it does sound good!

TFL got a look at the new truck and the new 7.3 gasser

2020 Ford Super Duty 7.3L V8: Here's What You Need to Know! - YouTube

Those are some long valve springs and its an OHV engine

bet Ford Really went after the low end torque on this engine

/ 2020 Superduty #16  
I've had gasser Fords, I've had diesels and like others have said there is no comparrison. I just sold my F450 6.4 that was amazing, until I drove a 2019 6.7. I signed when we got back to the dealership.

/ 2020 Superduty #17  
I think ford is going after the snow plow guys and land scapers with this new engine. Low rpm torque and light weight.with the weight of the new plow being 1000# plus it will less maintenance on front ends

/ 2020 Superduty #18  
Diesel has been around a dollar more a gallon than gas up here in Michigan.... If you are not pulling much, only occasionally, gas is a pretty good option. I had a 2001.5 Dodge Cummins 6 speed for about 16 years, and it was mostly used running fairly empty. Driving a 7000 pound truck, doing repairs, extra maint that diesels seem to desire, plus the extra cost up front when you buy it. Something to think about. But you still should buy what you want. You only have X amount of years to play in your life before you die. :)

GasBuddy is showing diesel forty cents higher than regular gas in Vanderbilt. Downstate and in the thumb, diesel is higher in the winter due to home heating oil, in the summer, diesel runs typically the same and lower than regular gasoline. As volatile as the fuel prices are, its impossible to use gas/diesel pricing as a justification. As an example, your area has a .40 cents difference between diesel and gas, right now in my area (SE Michigan), the delta is .78 cents, almost twice as much.

I also see the comment made often in these gas versus diesel debates, the higher cost of and more frequent maintenance required for a diesel. I own both and while the diesel is right around $200 (fuel filters) more in yearly maintenance costs, the frequency is half of my gasser (two to one oil changes). What am I missing?

/ 2020 Superduty #19  
Diesel around our area is 90 cents a gallon higher. Take a conservative 12,000 miles per year at 15mpg. Difference is $800 per year in fuel.

/ 2020 Superduty #20  
I switched to a 350 6.7 diesel from a 250 6.2 gas. Towing is great with the diesel but MPG is a disappointment. I now have 95k miles on the diesel and I’m averaging just 1.7 mpg better than my old gas. I was expecting more

Oil change intervals are now the same. Both are recommended at 7500 miles and would expect the new 7.3 to be the same. I will be in the market for a new truck next year and I’m interested in this new engine. My towing needs have changed since I bought the diesel. Loads are heavier but infrequent