2014 MF 1734e Real doggy

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #1  

MaggieBlu

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1734E
Bought this Diesel tractor a couple months ago and has been running great, working with the loader yesterday for a couple hrs and it decides not to have power , still running but not well . Trying to get it back up to the garage on a slight incline before it died, it ran out of power going up hill and tried to shut down. I had to stop for a bit and then kept trying to get it on the level and park. I am going to change the filters today and see if that is the problem. Any other Ideas? I am a first time diesel owner

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #2  
Was it smoking when it started to lose power? If yes that would point more towards air intake restriction. Diesels are pretty basic need fuel and air. Like you state filters are first thing to check. On the fuel filter look for any water or sludge which can be algae growth. Make sure you bleed the air out of the fuel filters before trying to start it again.

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #3  

Massey Ferguson 1734E Engine​

Massey Ferguson 1734E tractor photo
2013 -
1700 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series:1726E1734E1739E
Engine Detail
Shibaura N843T-F
turbocharged diesel
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
Displacement:91.3 ci
1.5 L
Bore/Stroke:3.307x3.543 inches
84 x 90 mm
Emissions:Tier IV
Emission control:internal exhaust-gas recirculatio (iEGR), diesel oxidation catalst (DOC), regenerating diesel particulate filter (DPF)
Power:34 hp
25.4 kW
Rated RPM:2600
Oil capacity:4.9 qts
4.6 L

Last edited:
   / 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #4  
Have you read in your Owner's Manual about (DPF) Diesel Paticulate Filter REGENERATION? Your tractor may have been one of the early Tier IV models.

While it varies by tractor, regeneration should occur approximately every sixty engine hours.

Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in dealer tractor inventory during 2009 - 2012, impacting tractor prices.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

DPF is used by the majority of tractor manufactures for emissions control on OVER 24.4794 horsepower tractors.

Tier IV technology complicates the engine and exhaust package and is a significant cost factor. The pollutants emitted by a TierIV technology tractor are about 1% of the pollutants emitted by a pre-Tier IV tractor.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. When tractor engine runs sufficiently hot, accumulated particulates burn off periodically without operator intervention. If engine is not run continuously hot long enough to burn off particulates, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Once heavy soot accumulates in DPF the tractor forces soot clearance with the tractor parked and throttle open to about 2,200 rpm for about sixteen minutes, which makes the DPF REALLY HOT to burn off all accumulated soot. Burning off accumulated soot, either during operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

Regeneration is an infrequent DPF event with my Kubota three cylinder, 37-horsepower engine. Generally once every sixty engine hours. (Very consistent in Florida due to warm weather.)

60 hours X 60 minutes = 3,600 minutes.

16 regeneration minutes /3,600 = .00444 = 4/10s of 1% of engine time is consumed during parked regeneration.

Fuel cost for sixteen minute parked regeneration @ 2,200 rpm ~~$1.00.

Forty percent of my regenerations occur during operation, sixty percent parked.

The average residential tractor operates eighty engine hours per year, according to industry surveys.

3,000 hours DPF Life / 80 hours = 37.5 years of residential use prior to DPF replacement.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.

Last edited:
   / 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #5  
While i have a 2016 Massey 1754 with DPF that still works perfectly, a friend bought a similar sized Mahindra at about the same time. Both have around 400 hours.
He told me just just last week that his DPF had plugged up and regen wouldn't clear it enough to run satisfactorily. Said he had to get it cleaned some where, and now it runs fine.
He said Mahindra told him to poke several holes thru the filter, canister, and all. Doesnt sound like the right solution to me.
In regard to MaggieBlu, I would not rule out the exhaust filter or regen process being faulty.

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #7  
Yes, FOR SURE check air filter. You might even want to risk running it without a filter for a couple minutes if you are in a minimal dust environment. But with your symptoms, I doubt the air filter plugged up that fast. As stated above, Id suspect fuel deprivation, especially if there is no smoke.

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #8  
Have you read in your Owner's Manual about (DPF) Diesel Paticulate Filter REGENERATION? Your tractor may have been one of the early Tier IV models.

While it varies by tractor, regeneration should occur approximately every sixty engine hours.

Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in dealer tractor inventory during 2009 - 2012, impacting tractor prices.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

DPF is used by the majority of tractor manufactures for emissions control on OVER 24.4794 horsepower tractors.

Tier IV technology complicates the engine and exhaust package and is a significant cost factor. The pollutants emitted by a TierIV technology tractor are about 1% of the pollutants emitted by a pre-Tier IV tractor.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. When tractor engine runs sufficiently hot, accumulated particulates burn off periodically without operator intervention. If engine is not run continuously hot long enough to burn off particulates, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Once heavy soot accumulates in DPF the tractor forces soot clearance with the tractor parked and throttle open to about 2,200 rpm for about sixteen minutes, which makes the DPF REALLY HOT to burn off all accumulated soot. Burning off accumulated soot, either during operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

Regeneration is an infrequent DPF event with my Kubota three cylinder, 37-horsepower engine. Generally once every sixty engine hours. (Very consistent in Florida due to warm weather.)

60 hours X 60 minutes = 3,600 minutes.

16 regeneration minutes /3,600 = .00444 = 4/10s of 1% of engine time is consumed during parked regeneration.

Fuel cost for sixteen minute parked regeneration @ 2,200 rpm ~~$1.00.

Forty percent of my regenerations occur during operation, sixty percent parked.

The average residential tractor operates eighty engine hours per year, according to industry surveys.

3,000 hours DPF Life / 80 hours = 37.5 years of residential use prior to DPF replacement.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.
Regen on my 1734e occurs in a lot shorter interval than 60 hours. Minimum rpm during regen is 1800. It also occurs about the time you a ready to put the tractor away🤔
Also check fuel level, gauge sensor is apparently on the opposite side from the fuel pickup, if the tractor is at an angle that causes the fuel to gather on the side opposite it will die. When the fuel gauge gets to two bars, time to add fuel.

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #9  
While i have a 2016 Massey 1754 with DPF that still works perfectly, a friend bought a similar sized Mahindra at about the same time. Both have around 400 hours.
He told me just just last week that his DPF had plugged up and regen wouldn't clear it enough to run satisfactorily. Said he had to get it cleaned some where, and now it runs fine.
He said Mahindra told him to poke several holes thru the filter, canister, and all. Doesnt sound like the right solution to me.
In regard to MaggieBlu, I would not rule out the exhaust filter or regen process being faulty.
Mahindras do not have regen

/ 2014 MF 1734e Real doggy #10  
My friends LS will lose power very quickly when the air filter starts to clog, I have not had that issue with my mahindra and we work them side by side on our 360 acres