2012 F150 Ford service contract

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
So last year I bought a 2012 F150 Harley Davidson package 4x4, it was used with about 5K miles on it. I have had a couple oil changes since then and the last time I was at the dealer getting a inspection sticker, the service writer said that the previous owner had a service contract on the vehicle that covered all maintenance up to 75,000 miles for free. Well I'm due for another oil change and called to schedule it. When inquiring about the service plan, another writer said that because I was not the original owner it did not apply, and that because I purchased it from a dealer and not the individual, it could not be transferred. Im calling BS...

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract #2  
I'm with you - total BS. If they refuse to honor the contract, call in a factory rep to sort it out.

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract
I'm going to call the dealership on Monday when the service writer who informed me about the contract is in. See if he has anything to add. If nothing else, maybe the original owner should call and see if he is due some sort of refund.

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract #4  
Ford dealers use an online tool called OASIS to pull up the particulars for individual vehicles. Service writers, mechanics, parts slingers, etc etc all have access to it.

When a VIN is run on OASIS ir comes up showing a basic description of the vehicle (eg build date, colour, engine, transmission code, axle code, original tire size etc). Also popping up on its main screen is warranty information. OASIS lists any factory extended warranties which have been purchased; this includes extended care and premium care extended warranties, as well as prepaid maintenance. Right beside the listing of these contracts is a big disclaimer stating "the owner's name must match the name listed on the contract" for coverage.

This last bit it likely what the service writer was reading. The writer, dealer and everybody involved stand to take a big risk by ignoring that warning. For example, what would happen if you were to have the truck serviced, something when afoul and you then complained for head office? The gig would be up and the dealer stands to lose big time. From the dealer's perspective it's not worth the risk to ignore Ford Corporate's policy.

The contract may or may not be transferrable. It is definitely worth looking at.

FWIW, I'm a Ford master tech.

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract #5  
I don't call BS because in general, written warranties are spelled out to the letter of the "law", particularly if it's transferable or not, and what procedures must be followed to transfer said warranty (as well as if the original owner is due a refund for selling the vehicle).

Since no follow up by the OP, leads me to believe his BS therory was incorrect.

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract #6  
The previous owner might have had it, that doesn't mean you have it unless you can show it was transferred to you. Whenever I traded in a GM vehicle that I had bought an extended warranty for I received a credit for what was left on the warranty based on mileage. I just applied that towards my new purchase. If someone bought that vehicle they had to buy a new extended warranty from the dealer. Since I only buy diesels now I never get an extended warranty as the power train comes with a 5 year/100,000 warranty.

/ 2012 F150 Ford service contract
I don't call BS because in general, written warranties are spelled out to the letter of the "law", particularly if it's transferable or not, and what procedures must be followed to transfer said warranty (as well as if the original owner is due a refund for selling the vehicle).

Since no follow up by the OP, leads me to believe his BS therory was incorrect.

Follow up is that the Ford dealer said the original owner of the truck was due a refund of the unused portion of the warranty. They however, not confirm a refund was or was not issued. The "computer" says the warranty is still active. But the " name on the warranty has to match the paperwork" line came out of the service managers mouth. If it was worth the grief to me, I would have told him to make the slip out to who ever is covered. But I was not in the mood for the drama. So, I will just continue to go to my local garage where I have always had our cars serviced.