2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I think the middle age say roughly 2005-2010 Duramax diesel trucks were my favorite overall built trucks of that era. Just my opinion, but I owned all 3 of the legacy brands, and that is my opinion. Not trying to start a brand war.

However, there is the aforementioned rust issue. Its terrible on the rockers. Especially in MY area. However, I have found some very roadworthy great running 2005,6,7 trucks with no DPF I would like to buy, but the rust issue gives me pause. Most body shops I talk to want a small ransome to completely fix, like thousands.

Has anyone restored the rockers on one of these trucks? I owned a 2007 3500HD and never should have sold it. Looking at a few 2007s and they have rotted rockers, but otherwise pretty good.

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #2  
There is a company that makes what appear to be paintable plastic rocker covers and cab corners for those models. Obviously not a replacement but the final results don't look too bad and a few of the reviews (if they aren't fake) seem to say the users are pretty happy with the results. Depends on what your preference is.

It's a pretty good job to replace the rockers, not impossible for a DIY but a fair amount of work if you have the equipment.

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #3  
I have an '05 Sierra 2500 that I keep bringing back to life with repairs. Engine and transmission are strong as new but everything else is showing its age. Rockers redone, frame sand blasted and painted with UV resistant paint and then coated with an oil that seeps into all the other cracks. Rear bumper replaced. Next is going to be the bed, as it's rusting thru. I'll probably replace with an aluminum flat bed.

If I were to do it again, buy one from the south and then treat the underside from the day I got it and maintain every year.

I understand why you like those model years. Love my truck. Never left me sit, pulls everything I need, no emissions crap to worry about, not overboard with electronics that'll go bad. 225k I think I have.

Like I said, if you really want one, if highly consider having one shipped in from the south because this rust belt sucks...

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #4  
If just the rockers are a concern on the ones you're looking at, why not just spend the couple grand and have it done right? Rust is never ending though... Once it's there good luck containing it forever.

I personally just can't fathom the price of used trucks. That is why I keep mine alive like I am. I really want to add a '17 or '18 Cummins with a manual transmission. But these prices....

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust
If just the rockers are a concern on the ones you're looking at, why not just spend the couple grand and have it done right? Rust is never ending though... Once it's there good luck containing it forever.

I personally just can't fathom the price of used trucks. That is why I keep mine alive like I am. I really want to add a '17 or '18 Cummins with a manual transmission. But these prices....

4 months ago, I had 3 2008 Superdutys with 6.4L diesels. Made significant engine & exhaust (DPF) repairs. Sold 2 of them after several years of ownership. Beautiful, strong trucks, but the engines & DPFs costly to maintain & fix.
Just bought a ‘20 RAM. Still have 1 2008 F-350 Superduty. It’s in good shape, but I’m living on borrowed time. I’d like to sell it and replace with a 3500HD Duramax. I have a few guys interested in the F-350. Trying to find a 3500HD as a replacement.

I like your idea of a southern truck, but I’d have to buy sight unseen as it would be close to 1000 miles from me to get away from salt (Florida, Georgia, etc).
I guess transportation is cheaper than thousands fixing rust!

Last edited:
   / 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #6  
I know a guy that bought a southern truck, '06 Silverado I think, 260k, and it looks amazing on the underside. I do not know if he shipped it or drove to get it though. Those 6.4's are nice looking, but I read the 2008 is the most unreliable vehicle built in terms of trucks.

Between what I already said with the rockers and frame, having the head gaskets redone, stainless fuel and brake lines installed, and general maintenance, I'm probably pushing 15k keeping it running. Probably a foolish move, but like you said, they are nice trucks. And dependable. The Cummins I want is only because it's a manual. Maybe someday.

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #7  
I bought a '07 Tundra from South Carolina a couple years ago. It seams each brand and each year has it's own issues with Rust. With the Tundra it's a spot under the bed that's impossible to rustproof. When I was looking I found a lot of trucks from up north that were shipped down there to be sold. I don't know if it's because they don't bother to look to see how much rust or if the thinking is that once down there the rust will not be as big of an issue. Maybe it's because they don't require yearly inspections. The easiest way I found was to look at the carfax report. See where it was bought new, registered, and service work was done.

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #8  
It’s a losing battle, one I have lost the fight on in the past. I have a co worker that has what I think is a 2007 D Max, it’s getting pretty rusty, a lot more than just the rockers.

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #9  
My 08 Duramax frame was rusted from day one. Not that, that is an issue, just annoying. The rusting out rear fenders are the issue. Low miles, never worked truck. Zero mechanical issues, just the garbage gimmicks.

Not sure what to do. Body work makes ZERO sense. Might as well go on the roof and throw your money into the wind. Are boxes available? 08 is quite old now.

/ 2005-2010 Duramax diesels & rust #10  
I haven't found any boxes for my '05. That's why the aluminum flatbed is on my list. But even those are expensive in my opinion.