2003 Chevy 1500HD starting issues

/ 2003 Chevy 1500HD starting issues #11  
A 8lug 1500..is that part of the reason why it turned into a $400 brake job?

/ 2003 Chevy 1500HD starting issues
A 8lug 1500..is that part of the reason why it turned into a $400 brake job?
Rotors were toast, calipers probably could have been rebuilt, but just got remanuf ones. At $110/caliper, rotors at around $90, and $55 for pads. Got $40 back per caliper for cores. Apparently 1500HDs had two different set ups, dual piston, and single... GM had some weird stuff during this time, 1500, 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD, hi out put duramax, low out out duramax, heck, even saw a 2WD 2500 crew w/ 5 ft bed (bought in Mex, so not sure if it was offered in US).

So, somewhat of an update on the truck in general. It needs pretty much an entire front suspension, alignment, knock sensor, window regulator, and front tires. Told son the other night, you've worn out the front tires in 6 months, you have to do something. Came up with a plan, ill co-sign a $1500-2000 signature loan for him at credit union, he will ise that to get suspension and tires; and put it up for sale. He loves the truck, but 11mph is killing him. He spends approx $600-700 on gas alone per month, and he's just driving to work/school/girlfriends/cause trouble; not towing or hauling. Use the money from the sale to get Dakota/Ranger/Colorado/1500, something that gets atleast 15-18 mpg, hopefully an extended cab 4x4.

He did throw an oddball at me, he found a guy who might be willing to even trade a 1999 corvette for the truck, once it's all repaired. I personally can't stand corvettes, but I'm trying to guide/push him, not drag him around by the nose...

/ 2003 Chevy 1500HD starting issues #14  
How many miles? I picked up a "free" 2003 2500HD that had been sitting for 7 years without being run and it had less problems than you describe. MPG is about the same, but mine has the 8.1L.

I believe it's got 150k or so; very low miles, especially for a 20 year old truck. Don't know the whole background on it for 100%; but we know he is 3rd or possibly 4th owner. My Mothern in Law bought the truck, had some repairs done, but could not get used to driving a crew cab, regular bed pick up. She has always driven small cars/small SUVs forever. So, she traded my son this truck for the 2012 Dodge Durango we had handed him down, which had more miles, and some minor bumper damage for a deer hit. She had put a fair bit on money into some minor repairs, but that cause she hired a guy to do even the most simple stuff. I think she paid like $1200 for 2 front wheel bearings, a water pump, front break pads, and an oil change, extremely easy stuff...

MiL bought it from an older lady after her husband died; so I think it probably had sat for a while between death and sale; maybe just a few months, maybe a year or more; and judging on the cold (hot) air intake, chrome gas cap, after market radio with crazy ground that produces alternator buzz, a kid owned it before the old man.

If it wasn't for the poor milage of the 6.0L, everything could be fixed with either a fair bit of time and about $1000; or more money and less time... He had a quote for front suspension work with alignment, and brakes, at like $1200. Now, the brakes are done; looks like parts for front end would be approx $500; plus atleast $120 for yhe alignment even if we did the work; doing it ourselves would only save maybe $400; and I'll admit, I've never changed Pittman arms, upper-lower control arms, ect; so it would take time, YouTube, and cussing to get it done.

The knock sensor, doesn't seem bad or expensive to do your self; but looks like it would be pretty high labor charge for a stupid cheap part, if you took it somewhere.

Window regulator, is kinda annoying, but not expensive, and probably, what, a 3 out of 10 mechanical ability, somewhere north of oil change and wiper blades, but below break pads, or water pump.