2000 John Deere 5210 starting issue

/ 2000 John Deere 5210 starting issue #1  

illistjay

Tractor
john deere 5210
New to me 2000 JD 5210. Has 3300 hrs. This thing will start and run for about 30 seconds. Blows a puff of white smoke and will not re-start without the help of starter fluid in to the air intake. I have changed the fuel filter added seafoam. Any insight would be much appreciated.

/ 2000 John Deere 5210 starting issue #2  
Sounds like either water in the fuel. or a bad fuel solenoid. I'd check for water 1st . drain your fuel bowl. and if it has a hand primer ( most thst age do) I prime your fuel system. then try to restart

/ 2000 John Deere 5210 starting issue #3  
Find attached a diagram of the 5210 fuel system. The numbers on the diagram are part numbers for the fuel and return line. Note they are 2 different sizes. I have a 99 5210. Here is what I would look at. When the fuel is low, look into the fuel tank and see, if there is junk at the bottom, which could be plugging up fuel going into the fuel line. The fuel line could have a small hole causing air into the line. As you may already know the fuel system is gravity feed ie there is no fuel/transfer pump.

If you decided to clean the fuel tank might as well replace the lines. If you do this message me and I will share my experience doing this. Not hard to do just takes awhile. The hardest part was getting the Philip screws out on the fuel tank straps.

Something else to try remove the fuel cap when starting.

Attachments

• fuelsystem.pdf
    347.6 KB · Views: 51
   / 2000 John Deere 5210 starting issue #4  
One possibility is check valve encircled in orange is clogged. Next time engine stops operating open bleed screw encircled in green, leave slightly open & attempt to start engine. If engine starts operating remove fitting encircled in orange & check for blockage in fitting or return fuel line. IMHO using starting fluid spraying into intake is 1 OF THE MOST DETRIMENTAL things one can do to these JD engines. There's a long history of broken piston rings & piston lands from overdosing JD 300 series engine with starting fluid

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-26 081007.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-26 081007.png
    135 KB · Views: 58