2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #11  
There are 3 common types of hydraulic hoses we see in basic hydraulics like tractors

R2, R16, R17

R2 is standard 2-wire braid hose. And in 1/4" it is rated ~5800psi and is 4" bend radius. (Meaning you can make an 8" loop or circle). This is the only type I have seen the reusable fittings sized for........and the hose is 0.590" outside diameter

R16 is also 2-wire braid and known as "half bend radius". For 1/4" it is rated for 5800psi also, and has a 2" bend radius. But the outside diameter is slightly smaller at 0.550" which is why they dont work for the field attachable fittings that basically thread onto the outside of the hose.

R17 is known as constant pressure hose. Both R2 and R16 have pressure ratings that get lower as hose size increases. R17 is a constant 3000psi rated hose through all sizes. It is a one wire braid on 1/2" and smaller hoses and jumps to 2 wire on 5/8" hose and larger. It is also half bend radius like the R16. For a 1/4" hose (rated at 3000psi obviously) it has an outside diameter of 0.500". So again, wont work with the field attachable fittings.

If you want the most flexible hose....sadly you have to use crimp fittings for the specific hose.

I like R16 or everything I use because its much higher working pressures in the smaller hoses that our small tractors normally use in combination with its flexibility make it better than R2

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility
There are 3 common types of hydraulic hoses we see in basic hydraulics like tractors

R2, R16, R17

R2 is standard 2-wire braid hose. And in 1/4" it is rated ~5800psi and is 4" bend radius. (Meaning you can make an 8" loop or circle). This is the only type I have seen the reusable fittings sized for........and the hose is 0.590" outside diameter

R16 is also 2-wire braid and known as "half bend radius". For 1/4" it is rated for 5800psi also, and has a 2" bend radius. But the outside diameter is slightly smaller at 0.550" which is why they dont work for the field attachable fittings that basically thread onto the outside of the hose.

R17 is known as constant pressure hose. Both R2 and R16 have pressure ratings that get lower as hose size increases. R17 is a constant 3000psi rated hose through all sizes. It is a one wire braid on 1/2" and smaller hoses and jumps to 2 wire on 5/8" hose and larger. It is also half bend radius like the R16. For a 1/4" hose (rated at 3000psi obviously) it has an outside diameter of 0.500". So again, wont work with the field attachable fittings.

If you want the most flexible hose....sadly you have to use crimp fittings for the specific hose.

I like R16 or everything I use because its much higher working pressures in the smaller hoses that our small tractors normally use in combination with its flexibility make it better than R2
Thanks for all the great info about the different bend radii of R2, R16, and R17 hydraulic hose. The exact bends I can safely make with what hose now allows me to order the hose and fittings. So tomorrow morning I will be placing the order for all the different fittings and hoses I will need to finish this project. I have decided to have at least some of the hoses made up with crimped fittings but there are two hoses that I may want to make up myself just because of the different routing requirements. And tomorrow morning I will be able to make the decision about which hose and fittings to buy because of the info you provided about the exact bend radii of different hoses. I didn't even know about R16 and R17 hose. I had only seen R1 through R6 hose. It's unfortunate that hydraulic hoses can't be made up with simple tools. I looked but was unable to find a hand operated crimper for hydraulic hoses. Lotsa crimpers for lower pressure hoses though. If only I could borrow a hose crimper. Not very many folks have one just sitting on a shelf gathering dust though. I thought about buying a set of dies and making the rest myself but for my small job it just wouldn't be worth it. I wonder if there is a farmers co op on Whidbey Island that has a crimper available.
Thanks Again,
Eric

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility
This post is a general Thank You to all the folks who have made posts trying to help me with the hydraulic portion of adding power steering to my tractor. Even though it is just plumbing it is not really just plumbing. All the mechanical stuff is for me as easy as pie. And even though I understand hydraulics pretty well from a theoretical viewpoint I do not know much about relief valves, flow dividers, hose bending radius limits, and etc. So the information you all have provided has enabled me to order with confidence the hose and fittings to finish this project. I live on an island and there is no place local to me that can reliably make up hydraulic hoses. About half the time the hoses they make up are bad for one reason or another and I need to take the hose back and have another hose made up. My experience is not unique. And their pricing is such that I might as well buy reusable fittings anyway, as there is only about 2 dollars difference between them crimping a fitting or me buying a reusable fitting.
Thanks Again,
Eric