2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Hi All,
I'm still working on getting the power steering installed in my Yanmar YM2310. I finally have everything done the way I want it except for fittings and hose. I want to use re-usable fittings. And some of the fittings I want to use are only available for 2 wire hose. The power steering cylinder has 8 inches of travel and this means the two hoses attached to the cylinder must move too. The hoses will have 90 degree fittings to the cylinder. So as the cylinder moves the hoses will need to be able to curl and extend. The existing hoses on the tractor for the FEL are all 1 wire so I have an idea about how flexible it is. What I don't know is how much less flexible is the 2 wire hose. Oh, I should have said the hose is all 1/4" hose.
I would rather have the hoses come out of the steering cylinder vertically because it would put way less motion and strain on the hoses but at this time I just can't figure out a good way to route the hoses to achieve this. So, is there much difference in the flexibility of 2 wire 1/4" hose compared to 1 wire?
Thanks,
Eric

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #2  
Are you able to run the cylinder the other way so that the base and attaches to the tractor?
That might get rid of your necessity for the hoses to move significantly...

Aaron Z

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #3  
Not quite understanding why the cylinder has to move.... In most cases I have seen the cylinder is stationary and only the "ram" moves....

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #4  
Hi All,
I'm still working on getting the power steering installed in my Yanmar YM2310. I finally have everything done the way I want it except for fittings and hose. I want to use re-usable fittings. And some of the fittings I want to use are only available for 2 wire hose. The power steering cylinder has 8 inches of travel and this means the two hoses attached to the cylinder must move too. The hoses will have 90 degree fittings to the cylinder. So as the cylinder moves the hoses will need to be able to curl and extend. The existing hoses on the tractor for the FEL are all 1 wire so I have an idea about how flexible it is. What I don't know is how much less flexible is the 2 wire hose. Oh, I should have said the hose is all 1/4" hose.
I would rather have the hoses come out of the steering cylinder vertically because it would put way less motion and strain on the hoses but at this time I just can't figure out a good way to route the hoses to achieve this. So, is there much difference in the flexibility of 2 wire 1/4" hose compared to 1 wire?
Thanks,
Eric
Some two wire is more flexible than 1 wire. Look for "HighFlex" type.

I don't think I ever asked, but sort of assumed that you were doing a Yanmar "pushme/pullme" type of drag link power steering with the valve built right into the steering cylinder. Like what Yanmar sold as an optional power steering?
Did you go through the 2015 TBN thread by Scotty Dive? He does a complete install and I believe he talked about fittings.
installing-power-steering-with-a-v-tek-loader-on-my-2020d-write-up-_-lots-of-images.345704

rScotty - the other Scotty... not Dive.

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility
The way this setup works is that the cylinder valve is mounted on the cylinder. The drag link from the steering goes to the valve and so when the steering wheel is turned the valve is actuated. So the cylinder moves in the direction of the drag link.
Eric.

Some two wire is more flexible than 1 wire. Look for "HighFlex" type.

I don't think I ever asked, but sort of assumed that you were doing a Yanmar "pushme/pullme" type of drag link power steering with the valve built right into the steering cylinder. Like what Yanmar sold as an optional power steering?
Did you go through the 2015 TBN thread by Scotty Dive? He does a complete install and I believe he talked about fittings.
installing-power-steering-with-a-v-tek-loader-on-my-2020d-write-up-_-lots-of-images.345704

rScotty - the other Scotty... not Dive.
Yeah, I looked at that thread. Some is applicable, some is not. There are a lot of variables. I have been taking pictures and documenting my installation. When complete and working well I will post what I have done.
Eric

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #7  
2 wire is the most common stuff out there these days, and what I've got my rock crawler's steering system plumbed with. The hose going to the steering ram sees PLENTY of movement with the axle cycling up and down with 12" of travel, and have seen zero issues with it. Many more guys are out there running 16"+ of travel on these things. No more difficult to get it routed in there than any other common automotive power steering hose would have been.

2 wire is the most common stuff out there these days, and what I've got my rock crawler's steering system plumbed with. The hose going to the steering ram sees PLENTY of movement with the axle cycling up and down with 12" of travel, and have seen zero issues with it. Many more guys are out there running 16"+ of travel on these things. No more difficult to get it routed in there than any other common automotive power steering hose would have been.
Thank You, that was just the type of real world advice I was looking for. Now I don't need to worry.
Cheers,
Eric

/ 2 wire vs 1 wire flexibility #9  
Just leave enough length that it has plenty of length to flex.

Aaron Z