2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #131  
I have a 10K regular and 7K asymmetric Mohawk 2 post lifts. When I bought these lifts I also bought the Tire Engaging Adaptors which allow me to pick up the vehicle by the tires. Also I have 2 old 4 post walker cable lifts from the 50's that someone removed the ramps. We drive the car onto the lift and use a 4x4 wood across the rails to hit the control arms. 3 of my lifts are used for storing 6 cars. The 4 post's take up way more floor space. I also use a pair of 2x12's with a steel flange with pipe to go in where the lift pad is removed to lift ATV'S, riding mowers, and anything else I want to put up to get to working height. I would do 2 post over 4. I'm finishing up a frame off RESTORATION on a 66 GTO and it was very simple to remove the body from the frame and to install it. I have also used it to remove motorcycle tires by lifting it with straps. I would recommend using concrete bolts instead of the studs that are not removable if you need to change your floor plan in the future. I'll have to say I looked at many brands of lifts and by far the Mohawk are the best, but you'll see that when you check out the prices. I've bought 4 , 7A, 2 9K, 1 10K. These were purchased in 1996 and the only thing I replaced was the switch on one lift that is used to raise the car. These lifts have mechanical and hydraulic safety locks. There are only hydraulic steel lines that can be extended to the ceiling if necessary for cube Van's. The other feature that no other lift has is you can lift and lower the right side independently. Nice feature for draining radiators. I also bought a gauge that measures the weight of the vehicle.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #132  
I never heard of a rolling jack before. I think that would make the 4 post a better choice in my opinion.
Quality rolling jacks add 50% to the price of a 4 post lift

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #133  
My 3-bay shop/garage is 40 x 26, built in 2012, with a 10k lb. 2-post lift and boy am I glad I got a 2-post. Too many things you cannot do on a 4-post. Door issue is an inconvenience only solved by a commercial lift with posts farther apart.

You have a dream shop - my only regret is I didn't make mine larger. But I did break the bank when I built mine (myself - commercial GC & EC for 40 years among other things).

In early '80's I restored old tractors for fun. In 2017 I moved to restoring old non-911 semi-rare Porsches - have 3, sold another: 914, 924 Turbo (sold), 944 S, 928 5-spd.

GN
Door hitting post is solved with an asymmetric lift. My personal choice is the Challenger Versametric 10K. Made in Louisville, KY.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #134  
I have 2 10,000lb 2 post Versmetric Challeger hoist that I really like, best of both worlds symmetric and asymmetric in one. The side post are not turned like some asymmetric ones. The motors and hydraulic reservoirs are at the top of the post out of the way. With 2 pendant controls on both sides to operate the lifts.(nice for setting the arms and being able to control the lift from both sides) I got them used from an installer that does Walmarts. I like the versatility of 2 post lifts and the little footprint they need. I have never thought or wished I had a 4 post for something, just my opinion.
20230410_085113.jpg
20221211_160955.jpg

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #135  
This would be the lift I would purchase. To change a tire very
easy to jack up one side at a time and no trouble to open a door
and don't have to mess with placing a padded arm to life vehicle
1709614575246.png

willy

Have no idea why the 3 pic's below and can't delete them either

Attachments

• 1709614750226.png
    1709614750226.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 1709614750254.png
    1709614750254.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 36
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #136  
This would be the lift I would purchase. To change a tire very
easy to jack up one side at a time and no trouble to open a door
and don't have to mess with placing a padded arm to life vehicle
View attachment 855765

willy

Have no idea why the 3 pic's below and can't delete them either
Lifting a vehicle on a drive on hoist is not as easy as you might think due to placement issues. And you will need to jack up 2 wheels at once (2 jacks) if you are going to rotate tires. You can do it but much easier on a 2 post lift.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #137  
After working in the auto repair industry for 50 years, here is my 2 cents on lifts. I have used them all extensively and while both 2 & 4 post versions do have pros and cons, I chose a Challenger 10K Versametric 2 post for my new shop and here's why. The 4 post really only has one advantage and that is ease of placing a vehicle on the lift. The 4 post is more expensive, once you buy jacks to lift the front and rear end. It takes up more room and that means more steps to walk around the vehicle. A 2 post offers more access to the parts of the vehicle that you work on the most, front, rear, tires, brakes, and suspension. As for safety, proper placement is a concern on any lift, however I have not had a vehicle fall or even a scare. I lift my Ram 2500 crew cab long box for oil changes and tire work without fear. If I were removing a heavy part, like engine, trans, or rear end, I would use a safety stand for stability. As for additional time to set up for an oil change, if you follow oem recommendations for tire rotations, you will need to rotate tires at every or every other oil change and rotating tires on a 4 post is more work than on the 2 post, even if you have rolling air/hydraulic jacks, and will negate the extra set up time for the 2 post. Other than oil changes, everything you do on a 4 post hoist is harder than on a 2 post hoist due to the hoist limiting access.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #138  
Www.Mohawklifts.com
Take a look at their manufacturing just so you can compare. Can never be too safe.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #139  
Once you see them side by side it was obvious to me & piece of mind is important. When I bought mine it was $5k not sure what they are now. I will say if it is within your means Mohawk is your safest bet.
90cummins

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #140  
you know what they say ? ... their is two ways to get friends in this world, buy a lift or buy a trailer 😆 ... maybe you should start with the lift then you would get some help to build the shop lol