2 cycle engines.. still ?

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #12  
Lawn Boy went out of business a few years ago, I heard it was the 2 stroke thing but I'm not sure. I recently bought a Stihl pole saw, and while I'm not sure, I think its a 4 stroke. It still uses the oil in the fuel.
If you put oil in the fuel, its a 2 stroke. Weedeaters are the only thing I can think of that came out with 4 stroke engine but you can still buy 3 stroke ones as well. Those little 4 stroke weedeaters didn't seem to be much heavier than the 2 stroke ones to me, but they don't produce a lot of power, just a lot of RPM.
Boat engines are much better with 4 stroke engines, quieter, smoother running and no smoke or oil pollution in the water.

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #13  
If you put oil in the fuel, its a 2 stroke. Weedeaters are the only thing I can think of that came out with 4 stroke engine but you can still buy 3 stroke ones as well. Those little 4 stroke weedeaters didn't seem to be much heavier than the 2 stroke ones to me, but they don't produce a lot of power, just a lot of RPM.
Boat engines are much better with 4 stroke engines, quieter, smoother running and no smoke or oil pollution in the water.

I wanna 3 stroke! :drink:

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #14  
Several years ago (6?) I used a straight gas chop saw (street saw, rip saw, hand held gas saw similar to chain saw but belt driving 16" diamond or abrasive blade) made by Wacker I think. Was heavy but not tooo bad, and cut well for concrete, asphalt, and RCP. I haven't seen one since then, all the road builders tend to use 2 cycle huskvarna/sthil. It was nice to not have to worry about which gas can to grab.

Edit: everyone seems to have a different name for the type of saw im talking about, so sorry if i don't know the proper name

I looked on Google and only came up with Makita EK7651H for 4 cycle saws...

Last edited:
   / 2 cycle engines.. still ?
my 4 troke weed eater is no heavier than a similar sized 2 stroke. can use a heavier diameter square profile wire without bogging too. I like it MUCH mor ethan a 2 stroke.

( 2 stroke i replaced was a 'weed eater'.. 4 stroke is a MTD )

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #16  
Lawn Boy went out of business a few years ago, I heard it was the 2 stroke thing but I'm not sure. I recently bought a Stihl pole saw, and while I'm not sure, I think its a 4 stroke. It still uses the oil in the fuel.

I just bought a Stihl FS130 trimmer with a pole saw attachment from my John Deere dealer. They told me it was a hybrid engine, basically an overhead cam four stroke that ran with oil in the gas. I know it sounds different than any two stroke engine I've ever owned. Wish I had bought that pole saw attachment years ago.

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #17  

Stihl has a series of engines maybe called 4Mix. You add the same oil to gas same as the 2 cycle but it has valves and is 4 stroke. It sounds like a little 4 stroke dirt motorcycle engine. My Kombi power head has that 4mix engine. I got it used from an alleged small engine mechanic. It did not sound quite right. I adjusted the valves clearance which was rather loose and it sounded better and ran better. Not as clean as an engine with crankcase oil but cleaner running than a 2 stroke.

They also make 2 stroke and 4 stroke diesel engines. ;-)

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #18  
I've noticed a lot of newer 2 cycle hardware is taking less oil. All my newer stuff runs 50:1...

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #19  
Kill of the 2 cycle engine is on the WISH list of some groups. :(

Most of the world population could care less I am sure but it is the few and not the masses that control the world.

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #20  
I have a 4 stroke weed eater and have stopped using it. If you don't hold it just right it smokes. It's a b*tch to start, uses a lot of gas, leaks oil all over the garage, wife won't go near it, is noisy, heavy and all around pos.