2 cycle engines.. still ?

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I thought i had heard that 2 cycle engines were going away?.. yet i still see new products with them. like those lil 80-90 cc 120v low wattage 800-900 w generators.. etc.?

did i hear wrong and 2 cycle is NOT going away? or?

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #2  
They still make 250cc dirt bikes too.

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #3  
Had not ever heard that. If it comes to pass, sure going to be a bunch of guys that chainsaw a lot, pretty mad.:shocked:

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ?
Had not ever heard that. If it comes to pass, sure going to be a bunch of guys that chainsaw a lot, pretty mad.:shocked:

ack when I hear di.. I remmber seeing a store display in ??? ( ugh.. CRS.. can't remember store.. but was a box store ). sign was near their new 4 stroke weed eaters. no gas mix... MTD maybee. sign mention 'upcoming' legislation on 2 cycles. this has been a few years ato i guess now.. never did think about it much as for small gas engines I have a lawnmower.. and the weedeater using plain gas.. and a poulan chainsaw i've had for 10ys that drinks mixed.. hadn't bought anything new.

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #5  
ack when I hear di.. I remmber seeing a store display in ??? ( ugh.. CRS.. can't remember store.. but was a box store ). sign was near their new 4 stroke weed eaters. no gas mix... MTD maybee. sign mention 'upcoming' legislation on 2 cycles. this has been a few years ato i guess now.. never did think about it much as for small gas engines I have a lawnmower.. and the weedeater using plain gas.. and a poulan chainsaw i've had for 10ys that drinks mixed.. hadn't bought anything new.

Well nothing in government would surprise me, heck there are plenty of light bulbs you cannot buy any more.. why not 2 cycle engines..?

a google search turns up a bunch of threads from 2010 era ( sounds about right time i bought my mtd.. etc.. ) talking about 'proposed' ban on 2 strokes, and some 2 stoke restrictions that do not meet iso 9000 3 star emission standards.

guess whatever it was died in political infancy? I've not heard anymore about it.. and I see weed eaters selling pretty briskly still. :)

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #7  
I would imagine the chainsaw companies put the brakes on that one pretty quickly...imagine them losing decades upon decades of R&D with the 2 strokes. Also the added weight of valvetrain and related components would be torturous to use at best, dangerous(operator fatigue-wise) at worst. My MS362 Stihl is just over 13 lbs., and runs 4.6 hp, imagine the equivalent hp 4 stroke, the size of a push mower engine, then attach that to a chainsaw bar and go to town with it on the woodpile...sounds like a nightmare to me...maybe if technology got better, they could take a crack at it, but I'd say that's a long ways off. Just between you guys, me, and the wall, I'd prefer that those geniuses in DC just stick to what they're good at...nothing

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #8  
Not just the OEMs, but customers.. would you want a 4 stroke chainsaw?

i'm guessing whatever was proposed.. died.

all in all. i DO like my 4 stroke weed eater though...

/ 2 cycle engines.. still ? #10  
Lawn Boy went out of business a few years ago, I heard it was the 2 stroke thing but I'm not sure. I recently bought a Stihl pole saw, and while I'm not sure, I think its a 4 stroke. It still uses the oil in the fuel.