2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
Looking to upgrade my Woods SB-64S 3-point snowblower with hydraulics for chute rotation and angle. Tractor has third channel plumbed to rear, along with Deere's "Power beyond" live flow-thru system to rear, with channels 1-2 of hydraulic system being used for the FEL.

I see two options here:

1. Use 3rd channel SCV for one function (eg. chute rotate), and power beyond to an open center single spool 3-pos 4-way solenoid valve (eg. Yuken 68300) on snowblower for second function (eg. chute angle). The remote valve would be operated by running wiring from snowblower to a connector on the tractor..

2. Use 3rd channel SCV for both functions, with a channel multiplier to select between chute rotate and chute angle cylinders. This has the advantage of only requiring one pair of hoses from snowblower to rear of tractor, in addition to the wiring for the channel multiplier, but it does appear to be more costly for the valve. Would require same wiring from snowblower to tractor, routed along with hoses.

Opinions? Experience?

There's also always the option to add the OEM diverter to the tractor, but at $1600 for the kit with no other plans for other implements requiring these channels, it doesn't seem the best choice for me.

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #2  
Unless you need the hydraulics for something else, I would get a 12v linear actuator for chute tilt.
That is what my Loftness came with and I have been quite happy with it.

Aaron Z

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor
   / 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #5  
   / 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #6  
Progressive Automations makes good linear actuators. I used one to set up power dump on my dad's MC519 cart. Their PA-04 model is IP66 dust and water protection rated:

Linear Actuator IP66
– Progressive Automations

There are certainly cheaper ones out there if you look on Amazon and eBay but just be aware that not all are appropriate for use in a wet/snowy/icy environment.

Rob

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor
So, it looks like the linear actuator is definitely a viable option. But given that I already have the spare SCV wired right to my control lever, with hydraulics on the back of the tractor, are we sure it’s really the best option for me? I’d have to arrange another control on the tractor for the linear actuator, whereas going with a diverter valve for hydraulic control would mean just one simple switch on the tractor to select the cylnder to which my existing control is piped.

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #8  
So, it looks like the linear actuator is definitely a viable option. But given that I already have the spare SCV wired right to my control lever, with hydraulics on the back of the tractor, are we sure it’s really the best option for me? I’d have to arrange another control on the tractor for the linear actuator, whereas going with a diverter valve for hydraulic control would mean just one simple switch on the tractor to select the cylnder to which my existing control is piped.
IMO, a linear actuator would just need 2 wires to the switch and 2 wires from the switch to the linear actuator, about the same as you would need for an electric diverter, but you only need an actuator, not an diverter valve and a cylinder.

Aaron Z

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #9  
Only thing that I don't care for is linear actuators seem very slow. Your results may vary.. 👍

/ 2-channel snowblower control with 1-channel + power beyond tractor #10  
Only thing that I don't care for is linear actuators seem very slow. Your results may vary.. ��
Make the lever that they pull on very short and it will move faster. Its not like its seeing much force, one of the 225# ones I linked to should be fine 2" from the pivot point.
I find that I need to swivel the chute 10x for every time I need to adjust the hood on the end of the chute.

Aaron Z