1998 John deere 1070 ???

/ 1998 John deere 1070 ??? #1  

Fireboy6413

Tractor
John deere 1070
Hello all, i just acquired at 98 1070 with the 440 loader. Machine has 887hrs, and for some reason the temp gauge will not move. Can someone please walk me thru diagnosing this. Im
Trying to find a tech manual, but my dealer says it wont be in for two weeks. Also another thing when i dump the bucket it curls out real slow, you cant lower the bucket and dump at the same time only one at a time. Is this normal or could this be a pump. Any help would be great thank you

Forgot to mention, fuel gauge, rpms, lights and hr meter all work, its just the temp gauge no movement at all. And i did do a search but came up empty.

/ 1998 John deere 1070 ??? #2  
First, find the sending unit for the gauge. It is located on the left side of the engine at the thermostat housing, just below where the upper radiator hose connects. Make sure the wire is connected. If it is connected, then turn the key on and watch the gauge as you disconnect the wire. If you see on movement of the gauge, then touch the wire to a bare piece of metal to ground it out while looking at the gauge. If the gauge goes from cold to hot when wire is disconnected or touched to ground, chances are good that the gauge is good. If you get no movement from the gauge at all, then either the gauge is bad or there is a problem with wiring. Check continuity in the wire from sending unit to the gauge and repair or replace if needed.

/ 1998 John deere 1070 ??? #3  
Fireboy6413, shoot me your email, I have a PDF of the manual you're welcome to

Joe

/ 1998 John deere 1070 ???
Joecdeere pm sent thank you so much, Update i grounded the wire with no suck luck of the needle moving, so im assuming the gauge is bad,

UPDATE, i pulled the cluster out, and i am able to move the temp gauge freely with no resistance, upon falling back to normal it moves slow and steady. Is their away to apply power to the gauge to double check since its out.

/ 1998 John deere 1070 ??? #6  
You need to apply power to the pin that has the Red/Blue wire attached to it. Also need to ground the terminal that has the Black wire attached. Then ground the sender wire terminal, the Yellow/Blue wire. The Red/Blue wire and the Black wire are also the same wires that power the fuel gauge and oil pressure light. Since they are working, I assume those wires are OK. Be sure the Yellow/Blue wire has continuity from the sender to the gauge cluster.

Ok, gauge and cluster are working, temp gauge moves with yellow/blue grounded. The "sender" is that what the manual is calling the temp switch located at the thermostat housing, if so i dont have my continuity tester here, so i hooked a test light to the yellow/blue pin and gave a hit of 12v and i got nothing, so is the wire bad or is their something else i missing in the bundle of wires under the dash. Thanks to all

/ 1998 John deere 1070 ??? #9  
done