1972 john deere 820 open center

/ 1972 john deere 820 open center #1  

jww1960

Tractor
john deere 820
I had fired this tractor up after sitting 10 years. I changed all fluids, filters. power steering works, pto works, the 3 pt hitch worked fine before I changed filter/fluid. now it may lift, it may not lift, when I try to lower the 3pt it will not lower by the lever, there is a little handle under seat. if I loosen that the 3 pt will drop, not sure what to check next. thx

/ 1972 john deere 820 open center #2  
I had 950 and the lever under the seat was about 1 or1 1/2" long. I ran mine full open or straight up, If I remember right the manual said it was warmup for the hyd oil in cold weather. Keep in mine I had the JD in the early 80's so I might not be 100% sure.

/ 1972 john deere 820 open center
I had 950 and the lever under the seat was about 1 or1 1/2" long. I ran mine full open or straight up, If I remember right the manual said it was warmup for the hyd oil in cold weather. Keep in mine I had the JD in the early 80's so I might not be 100% sure.
thx, yeah I am winging it right now waiting for the manuals I ordered to come it..

/ 1972 john deere 820 open center #4  
Welcome to TBN
You can download an operators manual for free at Search for Equipment Publications - Technical Information Store. There's a short lever(item 16) under seat called load & depth control lever. Have you attempted to relocate lever to a different position? Have you turned rate of drop bolt a round CCW?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-13 065216.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-13 065216.png
    158 KB · Views: 43
   / 1972 john deere 820 open center #5  
thx, yeah I am winging it right now waiting for the manuals I ordered to come it..

Best is of course to wait till you have the manuals. But I know it can be exciting to work on a project. Here is a link to the hydraulics on an 820. There are others but this is a start.

Best is of course to wait till you have the manuals. But I know it can be exciting to work on a project. Here is a link to the hydraulics on an 820. There are others but this is a start.

thx sir, the short handle directly under front of seat what is its purpose? thx

Welcome to TBN
You can download an operators manual for free at Search for Equipment Publications - Technical Information Store. There's a short lever(item 16) under seat called load & depth control lever. Have you attempted to relocate lever to a different position? Have you turned rate of drop bolt a round CCW?
did not touch 16, is rate of drop bolt the short lever with a bolt through 2 nuts directly under front of seat, i did take that out to see what was in there. thx

thx sir, the short handle directly under front of seat what is its purpose?

I am running blind as no manual, the link above only gives contents, no information. ordered a manual already waiting for it to come in.

I am running blind as no manual, the link above only gives contents, no information. ordered a manual already waiting for it to come in.
cannot believe there is so limited info available to look at online..in this day and age of technology...thx to all.

cannot believe there is so limited info available to look at online..in this day and age of technology...thx to all.
i have no dipstick, when I drained hydro i put 10 gal fluid in it, i have the fill cap on r rear of tractor then on top left a plug, after starting n letting run to let hydro fluid flow, i then put a metal rod into left plug hole until it touched oil then marked flush to the top. there is a small plug midway down left side housing, i pulled that thinking if it ran fluid out that was the check plug but i put my pinkie in and could not touch fluid...