1965 farmall 424 compression

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression #1  

cantbeatadeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
03 4710, 06 728
hello....looking for the cranking compression #'s for a farmall 424, three have 70psi an one has 0. seems 70 is way low to me, did find the ratio is 7:1 on tractor data though........thanks in advance

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression #2  
G'day don't know exactly but i would say 130 - 150 you are going to have to do some surgery with 0 in one pot though sounds like a stuck valve to me. Have you tried it with a couple of squirts of oil in the plughole?

Jon

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression
I pulled the head, valves and seats looked good on the dead cyl. --- cyl. wall has a three finger wide score in it so I pulled the piston and the rings are covered by piston rub and obviously stuck in that area. I am dumbfounded that it didn't smoke and still pulled 37 hp on the dyno. problem it came to me with was hard starting.:confused2:

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression #4  
Probably with the hard starting issue it was eithered. Is it a gas or diesel?

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression #6  
Trying to start a four cylinder engine on three will hinder starting ability no doubt. I'd look at correcting it as they are as good as it gets for simplicity.

Check the ridges at the top of the other cylinders to see if there is much wear and if not just fix the one cylinder.

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression
thanks for the info art, in cny also. main thing I want to know still hasn't been answered. what is the cranking compression supposed to be on this motor??, seems it would have to be higher than 70, the 130 mark sounds more like it. anyone have one they could check??

/ 1965 farmall 424 compression #8  
For what it's worth, I found this on another tractor site, so copied and pasted. Your 424 has the C146 engine.

Quote from another site. "C-146 also shows 180 pounds according to the engine chart."

Hope this helps..!!