1964 ford 2000 starter

/ 1964 ford 2000 starter #1  

Crown & Roots Farm

Tractor
1962 Ford 2000
Hi all,
I'm trying to replace the starter on 1964 ford 2000 4 cylinder 12V tractor. I'll attach a couple picture but the new one i got seems to not fit fit exactly right, there's a gap between the starter and where where it should sit flush with. Ill leave an attachment to the one i got. When it arrived i noticed the side that should sit against the tractor isnt flat like the old one.

Maybe someone has experience with this and can give me some advice. Maybe i just got the wrong starter to fit my tractor? but the website says it should fit.
Thank you.

Attachments

• ford 2000-1.jpg
    ford 2000-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • ford 2000-2.jpg
    ford 2000-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
   / 1964 ford 2000 starter #2  
It does't look right. Have you ever considered just getting the old one rebuilt? It's probably made better than your replacement from the "land of almost right."

/ 1964 ford 2000 starter #3  
What is the silver disc on the starter between the starter and bell housing plate?
Starter flange should be up against the bell housing. Your old starter has no plate or disc there.

/ 1964 ford 2000 starter
What is the silver disc on the starter between the starter and bell housing plate?
Starter flange should be up against the bell housing. Your old starter has no plate or disc there.
thanks for the response. i noticed that it had a lip on it when it arrived. the lip hits the cowbell shaped thing inside of the mounting hole not allowing it to fully insert.

Attachments

• ford 2000-4.jpg
    ford 2000-4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • ford 2000-3.jpg
    ford 2000-3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
   / 1964 ford 2000 starter #5  
That lip should fit inside the housing. Did you try twisting it as you shoved it in?

/ 1964 ford 2000 starter #6  
It looks to me like your bendix may not be in the fully retracted position and that may be why you are not getting it to settle into place properly. Take the starter to a bench grinder that has a wire brush and use that to spin up the bendix to get it to retract fully then try installing it again.

/ 1964 ford 2000 starter
It looks to me like your bendix may not be in the fully retracted position and that may be why you are not getting it to settle into place properly. Take the starter to a bench grinder that has a wire brush and use that to spin up the bendix to get it to retract fully then try installing it again.
thanks for that tip. i was able to hook it up to a battery and get it to fully retract.

and now im frustrated because it still goes in the same. still looks like the lip is it too long and it goes in most of the way but hits the mounting so it doesn't let it go in fully. also the older one does not have the lip on the starter, the old starter is the one in the cardboard box in the attached picture. ill attach a picture with arrows because im not sure if in using the correct names of things. thanks.

Attachments

• ford 2000-6.jpg
    ford 2000-6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • ford 2000-7.jpg
    ford 2000-7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • old starter ford 2000.jpg
    old starter ford 2000.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
   / 1964 ford 2000 starter
thanks for that tip. i was able to hook it up to a battery and get it to fully retract.

and now im frustrated because it still goes in the same. still looks like the lip is it too long and it goes in most of the way but hits the mounting so it doesn't let it go in fully. also the older one does not have the lip on the starter, the old starter is the one in the cardboard box in the attached picture. ill attach a picture with arrows because im not sure if in using the correct names of things. thanks.
i actually just measured it and that lip is 1/4" and the block in the mounting hole is only 1/8" deep. not sure what to try next. all of my research has shown that this starter is the one that fits this tractor...

Last edited:
   / 1964 ford 2000 starter #9  
I hate to tell ya but if you hooked it to a battery you extended the bendix, for it be in the retracted position it must be as far from the starter motor as it can be. Centrifugal force from the engine starting is what forces the bendix back in place that is why I suggested using a wire wheel.

/ 1964 ford 2000 starter
I hate to tell ya but if you hooked it to a battery you extended the bendix, for it be in the retracted position it must be as far from the starter motor as it can be. Centrifugal force from the engine starting is what forces the bendix back in place that is why I suggested using a wire wheel.

i used this method here in the video. would that be incorrect on retracting the bendix? i thought i had it right but maybe not