1958 John Deere 420w

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #1  

Kbars

Tractor
1980 Kubota
I have a 1958 John Deere 420w I am needing a wiring harness any suggestions where I can purchase one. I would also like a copy of wiring schematics or manual if anyone has one they could share with me. Thanks!

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #2  
   / 1958 John Deere 420w #3  
Steiner Tractor sells complete wiring harnesses for most old JDs. I see they have a couple of choices for the JD 420s.... Which harness to use seems to depend on whether it has been changed to a modern alternator or still has the old type generator/voltage regulator.

I've never put in a complete harness, but it seems like the nice way to go.
rScotty

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #4  
   / 1958 John Deere 420w #5  
I think my 420W is a 57, came with heavy loader and backhoe from dealer and is mostly original as far as I know, still 6-v system. wires seam to be good on it so far,---- I dont use it anymore since you cant steer it and I dont have time to work on it.

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #6  
Hard to steer, or something broken? Could check in the steering box at the top of the steering column. May just need oil/grease, or an adjustment to the pin, or broken pin.

Jacking the front end up to free the front steering wheels might be an easy way to determine what is wrong.

Any pics of your 420W you can share?

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #7  
Turns fine if you put the loader bucket down and raise the front end off the ground with it. Had the top cover off,--all kinds of grease in there, cant see anything broke. I imagine the vertical bushings are worn out in the pedistal. ---- did have a pic somewhere on my computer without the hoe on it. The hoe was off it when I got it and I never put it on cause at the time I was runnin 2 case 580ck tractors. 420 got pushed in the back of the shed and has sat for 6 years now.

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #8  
   / 1958 John Deere 420w #9  
I have a 1958 John Deere 420w I am needing a wiring harness any suggestions where I can purchase one. I would also like a copy of wiring schematics or manual if anyone has one they could share with me. Thanks!
Screenshot_20230531_122406_Chrome.jpg

/ 1958 John Deere 420w #10  
Dont remember seeing that in there,---been 5 years since I was in it. This one dont have power steering either.
The guy I bought it from said when he saw the tractor wouldnt steer, he knew it was an expensive fix and wasnt going to mess with it. I used it for a year, mostly just to lift stuff so a trailer could back under it. Got skidders the next year and never looked back so the 420 got parked in the back corner of the shed.
Currently fighting with a 420c crawler loader,--clutch out, motor was stuck, got it running, found out it has zero hours on rebuild, new manifold and carb, all new undercarriage including pads and rails. Guess it cost him out the yanger, dont know why they didnt put in a new clutch!