Mowing 1920 is SO LOUD…why?

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #1  

Danica

Silver Member
Tractor
CNH TC40DA & Ford 1920
Compared to my Tc40da my 1920 which has roughly the same engine (I think both are Shibs) the 1920 sounds like a Boeing 747. I mean even with ear plugs and headphones my ears were ringing for three days after brush hogging 4 acres. I’ve replaced the muffler to no avail.

Clearly the exhaust on the NH is ported down towards the ground and as shown the
Ford’s muffler is just a few feet from the operator.

This thing is going to drive me into early deafness.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1383.JPG

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #2  
Flip it and point it down. My M9 open station has the optional down exhaust and it's really quiet. The other has a vertical stack and it's noiser.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #3  
It could be that the muffler is due to be replaced. The packing in them dont last for ever.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why?
It could be that the muffler is due to be replaced. The packing in them dont last for ever.

Brand new. That was the first thing I thought besides the gasket between exhaust and muffler which is also new…

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #5  
Why don't ya put an elbow on the end facing away from you and the cab. That will reduce db at where the operator sits. That's easiest thing to try. Alternately, you can also make a home made muffler. Take same dia pipe same as exhaust pipe about 8" long, drill bunch of holes in it. Put a another larger dia pipe over it and fill the annular space with rock wool or some high temp insulation. That would act like a silencer , It's all about sound attenuation:)

Last edited:
   / 1920 is SO LOUD…why?
Why don't ya put an elbow on the end facing away from you and the cab. That will reduce db at where the operator sits. That's easiest thing to try. alternately, you can also make an home made muffler. Take same dia pipe same as exhaust pipe about 8" long, drill bunch of holes in it. Put a another larger dia pipe over it and fill the annular space with rock wool or some high temp insulation. That would act like a silencer , It's all about sound attenuation:)

That actually makes sense and is essentially what NH did with the TC series. I will investigate. Thanks.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #7  
Like I said a while back, a down pipe really makes a huge difference in noise, much like a turbo charger does.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #8  
I found the same thing to be true between the 1620 and the tc33da. Anyone ever put an exhaust from a newer shibaura onto one of the older ones? I like the clean hood line without anything sticking up. The exhaust manifold and muffler seem to be one unit on the TC. I think they both share the n843 engine as well. Definitely wear earmuffs while mowing.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #9  
My Ford 1700 was much louder than my 1920. My 1920 still has the original exhaust.

/ 1920 is SO LOUD…why? #10  
The TC mufflers are much larger (internal volume) than what is shown in the picture of the 1920 in question.

Last edited: