16 year old battery

/ 16 year old battery #1  

Willman

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
Finally died. Original to my 4110 since new in 2004. It must of been that snake oil battery additive I put in about 10 years ago that keep it going, plus the trickle charger I always have on.
It looks like a size 31p will fit, anyone know if that will work?

/ 16 year old battery #2  
Yes, I use the Interstate 31P HD. Original battery in mine (2001) only lasted a couple years. My first Interstate lasted 9 yrs and am still on the 2nd one and I don't use a charger at all AND my tractor has lived totally outdoors it's whole life !! The only thing I've had to do to the charging system was put bearings in my altenator after 3000 hrs. I use my tractor some during the winter but not very much. I try to run it at least once a month and long enough to get the engine good & hot and the battery recharged.

/ 16 year old battery #3  
I think you set a record for battery longevity, Willman. Skipmarcy answered your question, have a blessed day.

/ 16 year old battery #4  
I was always amazed at how long my battery for a solar panel setup lasted. Getting that daily dose of sunlit charge kept it very happy. I don't remember how long it lasted, but it was over a decade. Gotta respect the charging basics though, which vary by chemistry. E.g, if that lead-acid battery gets seriously depleted, you need to recharge it asap or your battery will take a permanent hit.

/ 16 year old battery #5  
Finally died. Original to my 4110 since new in 2004. It must of been that snake oil battery additive I put in about 10 years ago that keep it going, plus the trickle charger I always have on.
It looks like a size 31p will fit, anyone know if that will work?

If one has AC nearby a battery tender type solution is awesome for battery life.

/ 16 year old battery
Yes, I use the Interstate 31P HD. Original battery in mine (2001) only lasted a couple years. My first Interstate lasted 9 yrs and am still on the 2nd one and I don't use a charger at all AND my tractor has lived totally outdoors it's whole life !! The only thing I've had to do to the charging system was put bearings in my altenator after 3000 hrs. I use my tractor some during the winter but not very much. I try to run it at least once a month and long enough to get the engine good & hot and the battery recharged.

Thanks Skipmarcy for that 31P confirmation, I’ve been price shopping on line today, looks like pricing ranges from about $120 - $170 depending on brand.

/ 16 year old battery #7  
I hope I'm not on borrowed time with my 2004 BX battery.

/ 16 year old battery
I think you set a record for battery longevity, Willman. Skipmarcy answered your question, have a blessed day.

Yes I am totally amazed it lasted that long. For the last few years every time I would go to start I was expecting that click- click sound.

/ 16 year old battery #9  
   / 16 year old battery #10  
On my first tractor - Ford 1700 - I had a jell cell battery last eleven years. It probably would have gone longer but - come late fall - I tend to get nervous about old expendable parts.