10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #1  

DanMc77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD 2210, JD 332
I figured I'd post some progress on this generator project I have going. I picked up one of these 10Kw generator heads from Harbor Freight a few years ago in order to build what I'm now finally working on.

Here's the generator itself. Somebody has said that this isn't really a generator, but it's an alternator. I'm not sure of the distinction, but it does generate electrical power, so I'm going to loosely refer to it as a generator.
Generator Head - 1, Watts Max, Belt Driven

It has been my plan to mount this to the front of my diesel JD332 garden tractor and run the generator with a belt up to the tractor's PTO pulley. Up on the tractor, the output pulley is 7" in diameter.

So I'll post some photos I took as I was putting thought into how to build a mounting bracket. You'll see the wood mockup pulley I cranked out on the lathe just to check for clearances for the belt, etc.

It's pretty amazing how nicely this thing tucks in under the PTO pulley.

Gen1.jpg
Gen3.jpg
Gen2.jpg

Last edited:
   / 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor
Here's a pic showing the mounting bracket that carries the generator head. Considering that this is an experimental prototype, I figured I'd build it using available materials. I have a lot of oak lumber laying around, so that served as the primary mounting bracket. The generator sits on a glued-up OAK panel that's hinged on the end opposite the pulley. The belt tension right now is limited to the weight of the generator head. I need to build a tensioning bracket with a screw or something to get better control on the belt.

To date, I have fired it up twice now. The first couple times I had a 3" pulley on the generator, so to get 3600 RPM on the generator, I had to run the tractor throttle at just a little over idle. I think that's a bit too slow for the engine. Still, with this configuration, I was able to run a 3 HP wood router with no issues at all. I was also able to run my 120volt wire-feed welder off it. If I ran the router and the welder at the same time, I noticed a significant drop off in voltage. I'm guessing that the belt is slipping on the little 3" pulley. So a 4" pulley is the next thing to try.

Many people who have driven these generators with a belt use two-slot pulleys. The engine only has one belt slot on the pulley up there, so I'll have to get by with one belt.

Here's the pic:
View attachment 592790

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #3  
cool project. was the router or welder under load? to get the 10kw you will need all 16 horsepower. for any real use i would want it running at at least 3/4 throttle.

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #4  
To get any kind of continuous 10,000 load, you will need close to 20HP...

Running those engines slow, makes voltage recovery slooooow to react, and that is very hard on most things electrical, like motors...

SR

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #5  
Choosing RPM isn't an option. The alternator has to run close to 3600rpm to make something close to 60HZ. I tried running a PTO set with a gear speeder-upper on a JD 770 at half throttle and either it would make no HP at that speed or the Governor was not set up for that. I would not even be able to power a single lightbulb and the engine governor was hunting.

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #6  
Choosing RPM isn't an option. The alternator has to run close to 3600rpm to make something close to 60HZ. I tried running a PTO set with a gear speeder-upper on a JD 770 at half throttle and either it would make no HP at that speed or the Governor was not set up for that. I would not even be able to power a single lightbulb and the engine governor was hunting.

true, but you can pick the pulley size to put the engine throttle where you want it and get the 3600 rpm at the generator.

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #7  
The PTO on your 332 is rated for 3600 RPM, so on the Gen head you'll want a pulley the same size as the tractor's if you ever hope to get near full electrical power.

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #8  
No, I meant, when built, you don't have the operational choice what rpm to run the engine, based on load.

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #9  
Your garden tractor does not have constant rpm governer, never seen any way to add one. So what you need to make this kind of setup work is large flywheel and continuous variable drive like in today's ATV'S they will handle the horsepower. Then a rpm sensor on the generator to drive the tranny to bring the speed back along with some fairly good software code to remove oscillation, all stuff that could be salvaged. A large tractor tire filled solid and balanced for flywheel and bearing, then old pc and two servo's for tranny and throttle. Or find a run by wire little turbo engine from small front wheel drive car install a flywheel and use cruise control.

/ 10Kw generator powered by JD332 garden tractor #10  
That tractor doesn't have a governor??

I've never seen a garden tractor without a governor... All of mine do..

SR