10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ?

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Finally located a very nice 10’ Western Heavyweight with pump & lights. I can get it cheap.
Plan to remove pump & lights and install on Massey 7495. I also have 2 sets of front hydraulics, 1 of which will be used for power angling.

Plan to mount Cat-II pins on frame, but not sure how to utilize upper link, if at all? Lower links would be “fixed” raising & lowering plow.
Lower links have “float” mode controlled from cab joystick.

Front 3 point

1665879163714.jpeg

10’ Western Heavyweight

1665879304063.jpeg

Like I’m almost wondering if it’s as simple as removing lights & pump with pump frame, installing mounting pins in plow mounting holes?
But what about upper link? Make a mounting pin for upper 3 point arm rigid from tractor to plow frame?

If it doesn’t work, I can use it on a truck, but prefer to set up another tractor for snow plowing.

Last edited:
   / 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #3  
How would you lift the plow without a fixed top link? Would it not just pivot around the two 3 point arms? Maybe keep the pump frame and replace pump with cylinder. This would allow you to adjust blade cutting angle with 3 point and raise lower with cylinder. Chain is there for float.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ?
I think you need to build a “triangle”, like the one on my front mounted mower to raise & lower the plow. 2 bottom points would pin into the bottom holes on the plow frame and stick out past the plow frame holes so you could mount balls on them for lower hitch links. The apex of the triangle would have a pieye of steel welded from the apex of the triangle down to the frame of the plow to keep it rigid.
The plow is a moldboard trip-type plow to allow it to clear obstacles.
The 3 point itself has float mode controlled from tractor, or it can be switched off and use down pressure to scrape if needed.

Last edited:
   / 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #5  
Without a lot of "thinking it through" I'm coming up with a 3pt quick hitch on the tractor mounted normally with a chain for "float".
Basically what I believe your thinking with a fabricated triangle, just without the fab work.👍

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ?
Without a lot of "thinking it through" I'm coming up with a 3pt quick hitch on the tractor mounted normally with a chain for "float".
Basically what I believe your thinking with a fabricated triangle, just without the fab work.👍
You mean mount/weld the quick hitch to the snowplow?

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #7  
Hay Dude, what is the reason for your new Avatar?

I liked the old one better.

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #8  
You mean mount/weld the quick hitch to the snowplow?
Hadn't really thought about that, but either way I guess would be the same unless you have a need for the front 3pt. in the winter.
I'd imagine that probably the plow would live on the tractor all winter anyway. I've never had a 3pt quick attach and not familiar with the costs, I can imagine that fabing basically a triangle with all 3 points of the tractors hitch being used. Then obviously the 2 lower points on the plow and a grab hook at the top middle of your "triangle" for the plows lift chain.👍

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #9  
The way I see it, just needs to remove that frame with the lights and cylinder and add the two bottom pins. An A frame that pivots on these lower pins or thereabouts. Top link from the top of A-frame to the tractor and chain from the top of A-frame to the front of the plow, pretty much where the current one attaches to.

The tractor already has a quick hitch (lower link hooks) but if you need something else, that A frame style quick hitch could be a good solution for this case. Personally, can't see the need for this.

large_2021-teagle-quick-hitch-implement-end-weld-on-a-frame-1675093-img23M6Blc07q024hIPYsonFiw.jpg

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #10  
I think you have a kind of ugly problem here. I think you want to use the plow A-frame mounting points on the 3 PH lower links. However, you will then lift the back of the a-frame instead of the front. I would suggest that if you pivot the plow frame on the lower links, you design that for the frame to be level with the 3 point all the way down. Then add a lift cylinder somewhere on the front of the tractor to lift the front of the A-frame. That's basically how I adapted a plow to my tractor except I don't have a front 3 point. I mounted the back of my plow frame to the tractor frame.