1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #141  
This whole thread is a very interesting read. I am like the one who posted about his JD 790 and that he owns 2 of them, unless the one he loaned out gets squatters rights! I own a JD 990 with a 300CX FEL and an 8B BH. Of course this tractor is 100% Yanmar. The 8B BH is 100% US made and the 300CX is 100% made in China. I grew up with my dad's Massey Ferguson and his Industrial IH 300 we bought used. They were all collar shift so that is what I was used to. We even changed the clutch on the IH 300 ourselves.

Talk about bullet proof. My 990 is bullet proof. I second the point of the person with the 790 who posted about about not needing dealer help. At least at this time. I bought the 990 used with 75 hours on it back in 2012. It was bought new by the original owner in 2005. When I bought it, it cost me $25k. If I would have bought it new then as configured it would have been $35k. Then JD changed the model # of the 990 to 4005 and the 790 to 3005. I once stopped into a Kubota dealer several years before me buying the 990 and he said he wished that Kubota would use Yanmar diesel engines because they just sip fuel. That is the truth with my 990. I like that it is simple and straight forward and it is easy to work on. I do all my own maintenance. The bucket on the FEL is 72" wide and the tractor is just under that for its width. It has plenty of power and if it could keep traction I think it would climb a tree. In first gear Low the thing just creaps and you cant stop it. The 4WD is superb when you need the traction.

So I echo what many have said, older tractors without computers and without the communistic EPA regulations on them would be my go to for a forever tractor. by the way I am in my 64th year. The ability to get parts is important if you need them because if they no longer produce them then that forever tractor becomes a huge paperweight. If you need to have it worked on because it is outside your scope of capabilities when it comes to some specific repair then I can see where a good dealer would be important. However I would ask if you know a good mechanic who with the ability to get parts and a complete service and parts manual would be able to work on the tractor for you. In that case you do not need a dealer, just some mechanic who knows what they are doing and knows their way around a diesel engine and hydraulics.

As a final note the things I wish my 990 had or could do better are the following:

A better lift capability on the FEL. It only has a lift of around 1600 lbs. I would love it if it could handle over 2000 lbs. I would love it if it had a 12 speed shuttle shift transmission. I am not a lover of a hydrostatic drive. My neighbor has a Kubota BX and I can hear the thing coming a mile away. I would rather have gears. I also wish my 8B BH had more hydraulic power as well. We have some pretty big bolders where I live and it can be real challenging at times to move these out of the way when digging. In addition I wish I could still get certain parts for 8B which they made. They are no longer made for it. So in that case I wish the manufacturer would at least sell me the original drawings so that I could have certain parts made.

Besides these points I am very thankful for my bullet proof 990. It runs like a top and starts every time even in the coldest of temps in the middle of winter!

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #142  
coffeedrinker, when this forum started, I think it was primarily Kubota.
This is primarily a site for hobby farmers.
few tractors here have gps...
I realize that. I stay on it because I think most of the contributors are older, hence more interesting.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #143  
interesting anecdotal posts but....what is this thread really about? trading personal notes on name brands? not sure how definitive that can really be
OP: given your original statement, what is your thinking so far? regards

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #144  
OK, so you can convert to SSQA - that's good. I'm sure the JD-branded implements are fine, but generally better to have a broad range of choices, i.e. let competition among the implement manufacturers work for you.

You don't need to stick to Deere implements, most attachment manufacturers make their items in SSQA and JDQA. You're not beholden to Deere or Frontier, the aftermarket is amazing and huge.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #145  
I'm going with my Kioti, I just need ~30 more years out of it! It's mostly made with KISS repairable stuff except the HST I suppose? Maybe they are rebuildable? Or in 30 years you just take the old one apart, 3d scan it, and the 3d print a new one with new wear surfaces?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #146  
When in the market for a tractor;looked at New Holland,John Deere and Kubota(what was available at the time) purchased Kubota.
Since that first;purchased a second (new) tractor plus 10K worth of implements from the same dealer.
They have been out-standing for warranty and service.I have zero regrets.
Family/friends have purchased used Kubotas with no problems.We have no reason to change.
Stay away from New Holland. I have one with 700 hrs, only run for light jobs like raking hay. It has had an issue with dropping to an idle after running for a few hours and then it will not run above 1400 rpm. It has been to (3) New Holland dealers. The dealer it was bought from could find nothing wrong even though it shows a code. The 2nd replaced sensors twice. The 3rd whom I believe to be the better dealer and shop changed both wiring harnesses with no change. Now he says it has to have the entire fuel system replaced which will put repairs that I paid over $9,000.
I’ll never buy anything that has blue paint. I have four other tractors, a Kubota 70 four wheel drive, a Kubota 70 two wheel drive, an older John Deere 2155 that refuses to quit, and a Massey Ferguson 50hp.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #147  
Stay away from New Holland. I have one with 700 hrs, only run for light jobs like raking hay. It has had an issue with dropping to an idle after running for a few hours and then it will not run above 1400 rpm. It has been to (3) New Holland dealers. The dealer it was bought from could find nothing wrong even though it shows a code. The 2nd replaced sensors twice. The 3rd whom I believe to be the better dealer and shop changed both wiring harnesses with no change. Now he says it has to have the entire fuel system replaced which will put repairs that I paid over $9,000.
I’ll never buy anything that has blue paint. I have four other tractors, a Kubota 70 four wheel drive, a Kubota 70 two wheel drive, an older John Deere 2155 that refuses to quit, and a Massey Ferguson 50hp.
What model NH? I believe I've heard there is one series which is nothing but problems
Kubota has a model also, which they should have bought every one back and run through the shredder.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #148  
NH Workmaster 60. But the 50, 60, and 70 are all the same. My 60 has not been used in 3 years, just sits in the tractor shed. Spent way too much trying to get it to run. If I could get it running reliably I’d sell it for half what it’s worth.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #149  
I don't understand? I bought a 1998 John deere 790 new,
They are tractors, big tools and as such look at their build and weak points. Small axle housing on kiotis, gimmicky electronics that are proprietary, weird filters, unique engines without history of years or models.
Really, one of the many reasons I passed on the JD 790 was the wimpy looking front axle, uncomfortable seating position and lack of features compared to others in its class/price point.
Went with a Kioti DK 35 in 2001.
23 years and 2500+ hours its been great
I get my fuel and oil filters at the local Napa

Last edited:
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #150  
If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy?
I did a lot of research and comparisons, before buying the Kubota BX23S - perfect for my needs. (hobby farming)

there are a LOT of good tractors and brands out there, buy for what YOU need. as has been noted earlier, the Dealership connection / relationship that you build, can make or break it.

all the best.

now, I'm casually in the market for a second tractor, for some heavier work (plus the advantage of a second machine for other implements) ... bigger, older, cheap ... I started on a Massey when I was about 10 yrs old, so time will tell.