1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #121  
For the homeowner with some acreage I'm wondering what the average hours a tractor will see? I would think 2,000 hrs would be the lifetime of many tractors.
I think they are designed to go quite a bitn farther than that many hours, but have to say that I cannot think of a single homeowner/small acreage tractor that I have seen with over 2500 hours. Lots with 1500, so maybe it just takes time.
Now for Ag and construction equipment, 2000 hrs is common and considered low hours. Last JD I bought had 5800 hrs on the clock and runs and works about like new except the seat and switches are worn.
rScotty

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #122  
I would guess that Kubota is the most popular compact tractor these days. Thinking that it and John Deere are 1 and 2? So, I have a Mahindra but I might sell it in order to get exactly what I need in a tractor. Primary needs are pasture clipping 7 acres and use in a 50-acre woodlot for managing trees and trails. Was thinking that JD or Kubota would provide...

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- resale ability down the way
- plenty of dealers

If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy? Being as dependable as possible, easiest to maintain, parts availability and ability to resell down the way are very important in this discussion. Easiest to maintain probably No.1 because I am age 70 and do maintenance and repairs that I can but I am not the type that relishes tinkering, lol, plus, I work alone mostly. Buying used would be great if one is found but not averse to buying new if have to. Should be my last tractor.

Doesn't have to be JD or Kubota but that's my thinking.

TIA!
I’m wondering why you didn’t like the Mahindra. I understand it’s the #1 selling compact tractor in the world. I have two Mahindra’s and looking for a third now. My only thought for you is if you go with any other tractor, you’re going to hate the Regen (regeneration) and buying DEF. Mahindra is the only tractor that has approval from their design, not to have to use DEF up to 100 HP or something like that.
I’m not a dealer or kin to a Mahindra dealer either. I just love my Mahindra Tractors! Hope that helps.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #124  
I’m wondering why you didn’t like the Mahindra. I understand it’s the #1 selling compact tractor in the world. I have two Mahindra’s and looking for a third now. My only thought for you is if you go with any other tractor, you’re going to hate the Regen (regeneration) and buying DEF. Mahindra is the only tractor that has approval from their design, not to have to use DEF up to 100 HP or something like that.
I’m not a dealer or kin to a Mahindra dealer either. I just love my Mahindra Tractors! Hope that helps.
The OP wanted to stay under 50 hp so no DEF would be needed.
Also Mahindra skirts the DPF solution by running the tractors hotter continuously instead of in brief spurts with a DPF. They don't have a regen which forces the tractor to burn hot for a period of time to burn the soot off of the collector but MF (and Mahindra) has a mCRD (DOC system) system which runs hotter all the time to burn off the soot. This is not new technology and is really is dishonest for a tractor mfg to tout this as a benefit over DPF.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #125  
that hour figure seems a little low. Do the maintenance, replace the hoses, belts, tires, etc and just keep on going.
properly maintained diesel engine will last a very long time, commercial farmers run 10k.
at 100 hours per year for hobby tractor, I bet you could go fifty years.
There are some early Kubota tractors with a lot of hours.
more an issue of how long you will last, or how long the need remains, vs the tractor wearing out.

I think most folks buy a new or new to them tractor for more capability, not because their tractor wore out.
Also depends upon whether folks have more than one tractor
2000 hours in a rental fleet maybe
I wasn't implying a tractor for a homeowner would only last 2,000 hrs but that it might only rack up 2,000 hrs.
In 3 yrs I have 70 hrs on my MX5400.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #126  
Do John Deere tractors generally require "proprietary" attachments/implements, or can they accept generically-designed attachments? Or maybe it varies by JD model, etc.

That's my understanding based on comments over the years, but it seems unlikely. For reference, my total tractor experience is having a subcompact Kubota for 6 years, so please excuse my ignorance if that's incorrect.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #127  
JD usually do not come standard with quick attach skid steer compatibility.
They have their own simpler setup, which weighs less, a good thing on a small tractor grapple, but
you have to buy Frontier green implements to work with that setup. I think many JD's have converted over to SSQA format.
Everyone else uses the SSQA format.
any implement can be used on a JD if you convert the JD to SSQA.

that green and orange color does clash though... ;)

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #128  
Do John Deere tractors generally require "proprietary" attachments/implements, or can they accept generically-designed attachments? Or maybe it varies by JD model, etc.

That's my understanding based on comments over the years, but it seems unlikely. For reference, my total tractor experience is having a subcompact Kubota for 6 years, so please excuse my ignorance if that's incorrect.

The smaller ones can use implements that attach to the frame of the tractor using a proprietary system, such as a plow, broom, front-mount snow blower, etc. All of the Deere compacts, through the 4 series, use the JDQA system on their front-end loaders. The JDQA system is as ubiquitous as skid-steer quick attach, because John Deere makes up a large segment of the market in their own right. So it's not an inconvenience with regards to finding aftermarket accessories, typically; I even prefer the JDQA, it's an extremely simple system. An idiots idiot could master it.

Also, some dealers love to try to talk the iMatch down as a proprietary system that will cause you all kinds of headaches, and then they'll try to sell you on a different brand QH that follows the same standard specs.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #129  
I would guess that Kubota is the most popular compact tractor these days. Thinking that it and John Deere are 1 and 2? So, I have a Mahindra but I might sell it in order to get exactly what I need in a tractor. Primary needs are pasture clipping 7 acres and use in a 50-acre woodlot for managing trees and trails. Was thinking that JD or Kubota would provide...

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- plenty of dealers

If you could find exactly what you want in a tractor, what brand would you buy? Being as dependable as possible, easiest to maintain, parts availability and ability to resell down the way are very important in this discussion. Easiest to maintain probably No.1 because I am age 70 and do maintenance and repairs that I can but I am not the type that relishes tinkering, lol, plus, I work alone mostly. Buying used would be great if one is found but not averse to buying new if have to. Should be my last tractor.

TIA!
I have an L-4701 Kubota and I'm very pleased with it. I use it mostly for mowing with a rotary cutter, and occasional other small jobs. I did NOT get four wheel drive, which saved me a bunch of money, and I don't regret it for a moment as the tractor powers through wet spots and mud with no problems. It also spins that five foot Land Pride cutter in the toughest areas of brush and tall grass without straining. I didn't get a loader as I rarely need one, and I have an nice old Ford 9N with a platform on the back which I use to move lots of heavy stuff and pull a wagon.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #130  

- parts availability
- dependable
- design
- performance
- ease of maintenance
- plenty of dealers

TIA!
I vote, depending on the size you need, a vintage Yanmar. OR other pre emissions unit. With ANY new tractor there is the possibility that the electronics and/or emissions control system will leave you limping or DOA until you get a visit from a authorized technician. Even if the right to repair movement is successful you will still have to get diagnostic software and you may end up fighting your machine even if there is nothing mechanically wrong with it.