1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?
I make money with my tractors, and I have no need for a big tractor to do so. I buy tractors I KNOW will last and last.

Wanting a simple tractor that isn't full of electronics, doesn't take def or have some other stupid plumbing to go bad, and doesn't have whiney hydraulics that require electronics to work.

I chose AGCO's,

Resized-20240406-152351-AS.jpg

They are reasonable priced and have worked out fantastic for me for all that I do.

Simple and reliable, just what a "forever" tractor should be!

SR
You talking about buying a used AGCO tractor to get the features you mentioned or a new Massey Ferguson? Not familiar with the brand. Or is it a brand any more or a holding company? I see they own Massey Ferguson and other companies.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand?
Posters talking about T4 and T5, what does this mean? My searches didn't clear it up for me.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #33  
You talking about buying a used AGCO tractor to get the features you mentioned or a new Massey Ferguson? Not familiar with the brand. Or is it a brand any more or a holding company? I see they own Massey Ferguson and other companies.
AGCO is an American owned tractor company, one of the only two left.

As you said, they own several brands and the AGCO's I have, I bought two new, and two used, as AGCO is now concentrating on Massey these days.

IF you want simple and reliable these days in any brand, you have to buy used.

SR

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #34  
Posters talking about T4 and T5, what does this mean? My searches didn't clear it up for me.
Tier 4 and Tier 5 are emissions controls for diesels. I'm not sure if the latter apply to tractors yet

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #36  
I make money with my tractors, and I have no need for a big tractor to do so. I buy tractors I KNOW will last and last.

Wanting a simple tractor that isn't full of electronics, doesn't take def or have some other stupid plumbing to go bad, and doesn't have whiney hydraulics that require electronics to work.

I chose AGCO's,

Resized-20240406-152351-AS.jpg

They are reasonable priced and have worked out fantastic for me for all that I do.

Simple and reliable, just what a "forever" tractor should be!

SR
Sounds good and I agree, but forever tractors ceased to exist decades ago.
New tractors are loaded with complexity. Some of that complexity is delivered from our overlords (pollution controls), and some we ask for (luxury & comfort).

If the OP wants a new tractor, there’s nothing made anymore that’s simple, reliable and will last “forever”.

One issue you run into with older “forever” tractors is they stop producing parts. I had a 1999 Case-IH Magnum, not overly complex, but they stopped making the electric over hydraulic solenoid outlets. There are other parts being discontinued. A guy who worked as a tech at a CNH dealer quietly told me to consider selling it before it becomes a problem to get parts.

Last edited:
   / 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #37  
Coffee Drinker who made your JD??
Did JD make it or some other company??

willy

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #38  
Coffee Drinker who made your JD??
Did JD make it or some other company??

willy
That I don't know, what I do know is they knew what they were doing.

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #39  
Sounds good and I agree, but forever tractors ceased to exist decades ago.
New tractors are loaded with complexity. Some of that complexity is delivered from our overlords (pollution controls), and some we ask for (luxury & comfort).

If the OP wants a new tractor, there’s nothing made anymore that’s simple, reliable and will last “forever”.

One issue you run into with older “forever” tractors is they stop producing parts. I had a 1999 Case-IH Magnum, not overly complex, but they stopped making the electric over hydraulic solenoid outlets. There are other parts being discontinued. A guy who worked as a tech at a CNH dealer quietly told me to consider selling it before it becomes a problem to get parts.
I was wondering about the big “lawn ornament” that one of my neighbors has. It’s a good sized cabbed unit, of that era, that has been parked in his front yard for over 10 years. Trees are starting to grow up thru it now. Sad what happened to that company. They (IH) held the top spot for a few years and then “poof” they were gone.

My grandfather on my mom’s side ran all IH equipment and I fondly remember his F-14 and F-20 tractors. That’s the main reason I gave Farmall a second chance and bought another Cub after having been burned a little by my first one (that first one was pretty much worn out when I got it).

One nice thing about those “classics” of that earlier era, is that so many were made, that parts availability will likely never be a problem. That is also why I like the N/series Fords. Those are number one of all makes and models when it comes to parts availability. It don’t get much more “forever” than that.

When it comes to dealer support and long term durability, I’m thankful that my grandfather on my father’s side chose John Deere on our farm when grandma talked him into replacing his team of horses in 1949.

His JD model m, that he bought new back then, is pretty worn down now but would likely start up and run good if I put a new battery in it. My dad took it over to the other farm when he moved there over 20 years ago, but he hasn’t used it in about 10 years.
IMG_3090.jpeg

He also has a little Yanmar made JD model 770, which is very dependable, but a little cramped for me on the operators platform (I’m 6 ft, 210 lbs).
IMG_3102.jpeg

/ 1 tractor rest of forever -- what brand? #40  
Go to every dealer that is within a comfortable driving range for you. Then start looking at those makes and models. All the various manufacturers make a good tractor these days. Check out the dealers to get a feeling for them. Based on that feeling, then consider a unit that they can provide you. Get a tractor that is comfortable for you. They are not all the same and what feels good for one person does not mean that it will feel good to you.

Good luck with your search. (y)
My normal response to all such questions is "shop the dealer." If you can't get parts and service conveniently and with a good attitude from the shop, buy a different brand.