1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap???

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #21  
Besides the acme thread, there is a look-alike, I think it's called a "square" thread.

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #22  
Wilton bought out Columbian a while ago. Have you called Wilton? You might get lucky and they have the nut block on a dusty shelf somewhere.

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap???
Wilton bought out Columbian a while ago. Have you called Wilton? You might get lucky and they have the nut block on a dusty shelf somewhere.
I did a few years ago....they couldnt get the part nor did they have it. And several of the old columbian/wilton vises have a very similar looking dovetail anchor nut. I asked if they had any that were the 1.125" x 3tpi and even gave them a few part numbers of similar vises that arent obsolete to see if they could tell me the thread size and pitch. They were very unwilling to help.

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #24  
Is there a patent number on the vise? If so you can look up the original patent drawing on Google. You could also take a long shot and just look up Columbian Vise on one of the patent search tools.

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #25  
Can't seem to find a tap. Fairly certain the thread is acme. Don't know if I posted this a few years ago or not....but this project has been on back burner and I am back to tackling it again.

I have an old Columbian vise....5" jaws 8" opening. Here it is next to my Wilton bullet for scale.
View attachment 735139

The issue is the cast piece that is threaded is stripped. But the screw is good. I have kicked around the idea of making a new screw and matching threaded block....but if I could find a tap to cut 1-1/8" x 3 acme threads....I only have to remake the block.
View attachment 735140
View attachment 735141

The part is stamped 506-4 and can't seem to just source a new on either.

Anyone got any ideas on a tap before I resort to making both a new rod and block

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #26  
Is there a patent number on the vise? If so you can look up the original patent drawing on Google. You could also take a long shot and just look up Columbian Vise on one of the patent search tools.
if it were mine...I would make the screw and nut both. but use brass for the nut. not cast. and I would cut a square thread on the lathe for both. much stronger. acmes cut very hard cause of the side angles. gotta take very small cuts....sometimes cutting 3 times without advancing the depth because of tool spring back.

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #27  
The issue is the cast piece that is threaded is stripped. But the screw is good. I have kicked around the idea of making a new screw and matching threaded block....but if I could find a tap to cut 1-1/8" x 3 acme threads....I only have to remake the block.
View attachment 735140
No, the screw doesn't look good. But the easier part would be the female part made up of a tube that is threaded and then the heel welded on. And why would you need to go with the same threads again? Remake the screw with standard course threads and the heel likewise. And grease 'em once in a while. It'll last longer than you will be around.

But seriously I don't think the vise is worth it if you have to hire the machine work.

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #28  
Good luck with fixing an old vise, I like to see stuff repair (and repaired right). Such an art is rapidly disappearing in today's times!
David from jax

/ 1-1/8 x 3tpi ACME tap??? #30  
I have to of these: Very Large 270 pound Blacksmith Vise : anvilfire Vise Gallery

Big momma with 6" jaws and the baby with 4". Both have the cast female 'nut' and I keep them greased. The big one can be used as an anvil with the jaws clamped to form a round. It'll crush, press or break about anything. But the jaws aren't replaceable. That's OK, they don't wear out. But they aren't perpendicular and square like a machinist vise when opened.

These vices are worth rebuilding.