What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #41  
Agree with BoylermanCT. I started with a Black Craftsman Professional with a 42" deck and a 24hp Briggs and a Hydrogear K46 tranny (known for problems). After having trans problems (and fixing it via the synthetic oil method) I went with a Simplicity ZT2500 with the ZT2800 Hydrogear transmissions and a 24hp Briggs. It was better and while a pretty good machine with a fab deck that was 48" for cutting, I was still also using a Ford 1900 with a 73" finish deck for the rest of the acres and only was using the ZT2500 on the front yard. Along the way I decided that since I was only using the 1900 for grass it would be cheaper and easier to just have another faster cutting ZTR with full suspension to do it all faster. I then sold the 1900 for $6000 and bought a Simplicity Citation XT with a 61" deck. The full suspension allows for a way faster cutting method due to full speed operation across bumpy acreage. It makes a big difference in your body aches too afterwards. But, considering the money spent if I had just gone to the more expensive mower I'd have been there quicker. But, when the wallet is talking first you buy less machine. Fact is just that. You consider the financial impacts on purchases like these.
And yes, Briggs dropped Simplicity line of mowers. It is a nice machine though and I'll keep it forever as I don't expect it to break other than consumable parts anyway which would be available for a long time.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #42  
I just went through this exhausting search. I have a Craftsman 54" deck POS the does not cut well and it started to act up (Kohler engine) Its a repainted Huskavarna.

I first went to the Big Box stores and checked out the zero turns. Non of the seat felt comfortable. So I steeped up and looked at JD, Kubota, and Bobcat 9Dusan bought out the old BOB-CAT operation (green units). We just had a home and ranch show here and I was able to compare units like Kubota against JD.

I had already visited my Bobcat dealer. I have a Bobcat CT235 compact tractor that has only been in the shop once since 2011 when I bought it.

I am an engineer and am tired of the consumer residential crap Big Box store units. I wanted long life and durability so I wanted something close to commercial grade. Being an engineer I researched zero turn issues and learned the trans axles can be the weakest link as well as the engines.

For your needs look at the ZT3000 ( entry level commercial) series or even the ZT2000. Bobcat builds them like a tank with quality parts. Excellent reviews and basically Zero issues. You pay for what you get. There are current rebates too right now.

I just ordered the ZT 3552SG for my 3 acres. Itsl commercial level and the accessory like rear baggers are available among others. Most importantly is has a fully adjustable high back suspension seat for my bad back (too many falls over the years in construction sights) It also has HD trans axles.

Now as far as BIG Box store brands, take a look and the Bad Boy line. Tractor Supply carries them, but ask about service. They do have a suspension seat on one of the models that was OK. Overall I think it is a good notch above the others. Stay away from anything Kohler or B&S powered, You want Kawasaki power

Trying to help

Happy Mowing

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #43  
I think I'm going to upgrade from my riding mower that doesn't cut well. This would be to mow about 1.5ac, including around a lot of trees. I'm probably going to look at 48-54" deck width. I don't need commercial level, but would like something that is still dependable and serviceable.

There are a lot of brands and I know each brand has their various levels of machines. The ground isn't that smooth, so something with a bit of suspension would be nice. From what I've read, most recommend the Kawasaki engines for gas. No interest in electric.
Buy another ride on mower or SCUT with a wider deck and the biggest tires you can get.

ZTRs are fast but tear up grass, you won't be happy with lots of trees. 1.5 acres is small time and if you have a lot of trees you will never really get to full speed to see all the benefits of going to a ZTR. Not worth the expense of a ZTR - even a cheap non-commercial duty one that doesn't last or perform well.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #44  
Commercial mower is probably out of the question for my budget and needs. I'm probably looking for a mid to high end consumer unit. I'm thinking around $5k, less if used.

The high end commercial units would be like buying a semi truck to haul a couple bags of mulch for me.

For any "heavy" work or towing, I have tractors and a brush hog. This would just be for the "lawn" areas and close to the tree rows.
Hustler raptor xd or xdx is worth a look

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #45  
Commercial mower is probably out of the question for my budget and needs. I'm probably looking for a mid to high end consumer unit. I'm thinking around $5k, less if used.

The high end commercial units would be like buying a semi truck to haul a couple bags of mulch for me.

For any "heavy" work or towing, I have tractors and a brush hog. This would just be for the "lawn" areas and close to the tree rows.

Dont get hung up on suspension, in the high end consumer and low end commercial the addition of suspension seats/ platforms usually means they skimp in other areas, especially engine and HST's. Exmark, Hustler, Scag, Ferris and other good manufacturers all offer nice home owner and light commercial units that should fit your budget. If you can avoid big box stores, look for independent full service dealers near you.

Last edited:
   / What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #46  
Unfortunately even the Exmarks can be killed. 🥲
My BIL runs a fleet of them in his service, all well maintained. I work on them for him and usually around the 1200 hour mark Im doing motor work. He has both Kohlers and Kawasakis. The drives seem bulletproof though.
There is a big difference between running one all day everyday and homeowner use.
I wouldnt buy a used one, simply because most have been run commercially, but if I could afford it a new one would last a homeowner a long time.

I have heard that 1000 hours seem to be the watermark for Kawasaki engine "maintenance". What's the deal?

More like 1200 meter hours. They all require valve adjustments at that point anyway and all the Kawasaki and Kohler aluminum block engines will have a life expectancy of around 2000 meter hours before it's time to rebuild and all are gas guzzlers as well and why I traded mine in and went to a diesel. Hands down, way more efficient.

When we bought ours, my father went into the service area and talked to the mechanics. Asked them which engine to go with. They all said not to buy the Kawasaki. They worked on the Kawasaki engines more often than any of the other options. So we went Kohler. So far it’s been flawless in its 8th mowing season. The fuel economy in my opinion is amazing. We can fill the tank and mow a few acres weekly for a month before refilling again. I don’t mind that at all. The battery is even original. Sat in the barn all winter long, temps down below zero in January, when March rolled around I turned the key and it fired right up. Fantastic.

I must have jinxed ours with my comment in this thread yesterday because last night my son was mowing our larger field with it and the left rear tire came completely off the bead. Used my tractor to pick the rear end of the mower up and removed the tire. Took it to the garage for inspection. Don’t think it’s salvageable. I guess age/wear finally got it. Will likely go ahead and replace all the tires so we can avoid any more down time this season.

I’d still buy one of these used versus a new box store zero turn any day of the week.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #47  
IMHO, suspension comfort is related to speed.

Speed to me is time saved, so I went for speed and cut width.

I have sort of figured out the areas to slow down on, but you know, when you hit a rough spot at speed your glad you have all the safety features, a robust deck and a forgiving body. LOL.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #48  
Buy another ride on mower or SCUT with a wider deck and the biggest tires you can get.

ZTRs are fast but tear up grass, you won't be happy with lots of trees. 1.5 acres is small time and if you have a lot of trees you will never really get to full speed to see all the benefits of going to a ZTR. Not worth the expense of a ZTR - even a cheap non-commercial duty one that doesn't last or perform well.
My experience was different. I had a 48" Husqvarna rider and went to a 54" Bad Boy. Mowing time cut in half. I have 2 acres, with a pond, patio, fence line, and 24 trees.

The ZT will tear up grass if not operated well.

To the OP, when I was shopping, I found a significant jump in quality at the $4000 price point. That may now be $5000...I do not know. Many of the horror stories wrt to big box crap are from folks buying cheap riders so bear that in mind.

I agree that going to a real mower dealer will be a better option. None of the ones I looked at carried "crap". Also, they will let you ride the mowers around and that can be helpful.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #49  
Mowers and chainsaws have a couple things in common and that is, a chainsaw with a dull chain won't cut wood for beans and a mower (insert whatever brand or style here) with dull or eaten up blades won't cut for beans and is a fuel hog to boot. I never sharpen my mower blades, they get renewed every fall, blades are a cheap date IMO. I also look for greaseable deck spindles, kind of like a greaseable roller nose on a chainsaw bar and one thing I always did was I pulled the spindles and removed the inner grease seals on them so when you did grease the spindles, grease actually got into the bearings...lol

Far as Kawasaki versus Kohler, they are both pressure die cast (pot metal) blocks and neither will last forever and they are expensive to rebuild as well. I will say that with Kawasaki, they actually use real gaskets on the valve covers instead of Blue Goo and that is something you need to be mindful of because valve adjustments are required on both engines (solid lifters) on a regular basis. If you don't keep the valves in adjustment, they get harder and harder to start because the compression release acts directly on the intake valves. Both motors may or may not last a long time, depending on how you care for them but one thing I know and that is a diesel will outlast any of them, hands down, plus the resale value on a diesel is much higher as well.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #50  
If you have trees, ZT are best, so much quicker to mow around. Do keep limbs trimmed above ROPS.