X758 Deck leveling problems solved

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #61  
For a good lube that does not gunk things up I would suggest TriFlow.

I have my rockshaft here and will try to document what I can with pictures.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #62  
My rockshaft was replaced on warranty to fix the leveling issue. But I would have loved to keep it if I could have to analyse what happened. I just have the grating sound when lifting left to deal with and I learned to live with the fact that the knob is not set to the actual cutting height.

never heard of triflow sounds like some kind of teflon lube wonder where I can get some in canada... I guess I could try silicone.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #63  
New rockshaft requires new end links and bolts also. Old one has one bolt that is LH thread and one that is RH. New one has both RH. The squares are much longer on the new shaft so teh new end links are also wider so much greater surface area. Looks like the new links eliminated the half moon cradles for the lift bolts as well. More parts coming.

Attachments

• Rockshaft.jpg
    Rockshaft.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 93
   / X758 Deck leveling problems solved #64  
Drumming up this old thread in hopes it may help others.

I replaced my rock shaft and lift arms on 04/21/24 to fix the leveling issue that I was having, per the recommendations in this thread.

My machine is a 2014 X734, with a 2014 60HC deck, serial number 021097. Your mileage may vary depending on model, year, and deck serial number.

I ordered the parts for serial numbers 042351 and higher, which are technically not the correct parts for my deck, but they do fit and work with some mixing of new and old parts that I will explain in another update on this post.

The part numbers for serial numbers 042350 and lower, are listed further down this post.

These parts are for 60HC Deck Serial Numbers 042351 and higher:
1 - AM148019 Mower Depth Control Shaft (rockshaft)*
1 - M177097 Mower Depth Control Lift Arm (Left)
1 - M177098 Mower Depth Control Lift Arm (Right)
2 - 19M7786 Hexagonal Head Flanged Screw, M10 X 30 (the bolts that go into the end of the shaft to hold the lift arms on)
2 - M177356 Countersunk Head Screw, M10 X 112

*note this rock shaft has right hand threads on both ends, so you'll need at least 1 of the 199M7786 Hex Head Flange screws. The old rock shafts had a left hand thread screw on the left side, and a right hand screw on the right side. You can keep the same screw for the right side, but the left will need to be replaced with this new part number.

Here is a side by side comparison of the old lift arms vs new lift arms:

Top view: old on the left, new (M177098) on the right.
IMG_2267.jpeg

End view: old on the left
IMG_2268.jpeg

Side View
IMG_2269.jpeg

Better image of the wear on the old lift arms (below, left side arm). Holes are a bit rounded in the corners. I'm pretty sure that the original shaft was probably ok, it was just the slop created when the corners rounded on these older lift arms. I put them on the old and new rock shaft and there was a considerable amount of play, especially on the left side. I could wiggle the arm forward and back with at least a 1/2 inch of play at the end of the arm. This, spread out over the width of a 60 inch deck was considerable. The gentleman from the facebook group mentioned below in the instructions for serial numbers 042350 and lower, said that he kept his original rock shaft and replaced the lift arms with the parts recommended for his serial number, and that fixed the issue for him. I probably could have done the same and saved the cost of the newer arms and rock shaft.

IMG_2270.jpeg

Old and new Rockshaft comparison. Old on top, new on the bottom.
IMG_2307.jpeg

Old and new parts shown together
IMG_2306.jpeg

These parts are for 60HC Deck Serial Numbers 042350 and lower:

1 - AM145479 Rockshaft
1 - AM145339 Mower Deck Control Left Side Lift Arm
1 - AM145340 Mower Deck Control Right Side Lift Arm
2 - 19M7786 Hexagonal Head Flanged Screw, M10 X 30 (the bolts that go into the ends of the shaft to hold the lift arms on)

Here is a picture of an original lift arm (on the left) next to the newer lift arm (on the right):

436442754_10163607078218452_4132050870623022845_n (1).jpg

(image credit from a fella in the Facebook group "John Deere 2006-Current X700 Garden Tractor’s")

Last edited:
   / X758 Deck leveling problems solved #66  
I guess when Deere wants it done right, they turn to China...:oops:

Maybe still China, but new updated specs ??

In the world market, China is still a player.
A video taken recently on the port docks in Baltimore, showing the many CAT excavators being offloaded from a trapped (bridge collapse) freighter from China.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #67  
thanks for posting an update, does the new rock shaft have a longer male square drive to engage fully with the wider (deeper) female square drive of the lever.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #68  
thanks for posting an update, does the new rock shaft have a longer male square drive to engage fully with the wider (deeper) female square drive of the lever.

Yes, it does. I have to update the post again, ran out of time on Saturday. I'll add a picture of it.

Edit: Images added to the post above.

Last edited:
   / X758 Deck leveling problems solved #69  
I still have my creaking issue when lifting and lower the deck, Mostly when lifting. Haven't found the right type of lubricant wd40 works short term, lithium grease spray works but not for long. I think deere should have put grease fittings on there.

I also never have enough time to take it all apart and clean and grease the bushing and shaft properly. I would guess a moly grease would work. Awfully dusty under there during the summer.

How hard is the spring to get off. thats my biggest concern.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #70  
on your old shaft, do the square drives seem to be indexed the same?

I see they changed the moon shaped clips and bolts that mate with the levers and realized I may be barking up the wrong tree with the bushings and creaking noise. I think I will try spraying the moon shape clips and levers