Brown Tree Saw

/ Brown Tree Saw #41  
No longer that it takes to cut a tree, that’s thousands of trees. Good market around here for cedar wood. Maybe have a band sawer cut on shares help pay for your tree saw, reduce tree waste volume? Bird houses, feeders, carpenter bee traps made from small lumber cedar.

Shaving mill to market cedar shavings?

Don’t throw money away since you are already doing the hard part of cutting down and moving the trees.

Burning is getting harder to do and has risk and liability. Conservation now recommends piles to help support wildlife. Been enjoying seeing a family of foxes from the house this winter. The pile gives them protection from coyotes.
Most of our local sawyers (Md / va) don’t want eastern cedar. Either diameter is too small or they are embedded with fencing leftovers

/ Brown Tree Saw #42  
No longer that it takes to cut a tree, that’s thousands of trees. Good market around here for cedar wood. Maybe have a band sawer cut on shares help pay for your tree saw, reduce tree waste volume? Bird houses, feeders, carpenter bee traps made from small lumber cedar.

Shaving mill to market cedar shavings?

Don’t throw money away since you are already doing the hard part of cutting down and moving the trees.

Burning is getting harder to do and has risk and liability. Conservation now recommends piles to help support wildlife. Been enjoying seeing a family of foxes from the house this winter. The pile gives them protection from coyotes.
Worth checking though most of our local sawyers (Md / va) don’t want eastern cedar. Either diameter is too small or they are embedded with fencing leftovers
You don’t keep chickens, Guinea hens, rabbits, etc. ?

/ Brown Tree Saw
Are they an “off the shelf” replacement tooth?
Yes, there are 12 teeth and they're $28/piece. I don't foresee needing them for a while.

/ Brown Tree Saw #46  
Blessed to grow up on a small farm and live and retire on one. Not so much as a living but a way of life. Nice when a hobby can help pay for itself. Just pointing out the potential value of the OPs crop of trees and effort involved in cutting them. We used cut cedar trees for erosion control in gullies, fish habitat in ponds, posts, lumber, have doors, stair risers, paneling, closet lining from the farm in our house. Even had a few Cedar Christmas trees. Popular craft wood for the tourist trade. Always been able to sell cedar logs and can’t give away other types of trees.

/ Brown Tree Saw #47  
I think you will like your new saw. We have 86.6 acres of pasture and about 65 acres is covered in eastern red cedar trees. I opted for a tree shear on the front of our S650 Bobcat skid loader. I just upgraded from a 12 inch shear to a 14 with hydraulic rotation, and it will cut a much larger tree if you take a few bites from multiple sides. I've been cutting trees part time for a few years, and I'm now getting into the areas that haven't been disturbed for 25 - 30 years, and the trees are 12-20 inches in diameter at the base. Your saw will cut closer to the grade than my shear will. My shear leaves a 2 to 3 inch stump, but I found that after about 3 years, I can push on the stumps with the loader bucket and they break up well enough for me. You will be very happy to see how fast it cuts compared to your chain saw, and the fact that you can do it from the tractor seat!

/ Brown Tree Saw #48  
I'd hire it done with a big skid steer and cutter. I have a T870 with a Spartan brush cutter, it would chop through them easily at ground level. A disc mulcher would work even better.

/ Brown Tree Saw #49  
It'll make an 8 inch cut. If the tree is bigger, cut from one side and then cut from the other side. Most of the cedars are 6 to 12 inches. Cost is $6k delivered. That's a lot but I figure I can sell it and recoup some of the cost when I'm finished. The key thing is that it'll allow me to put that field back into pasture.

Here's a video of the saw. Only difference is that I'm not getting the grapple on the saw since my tractor has a grapple on the FEL.

That is really cool. Fast & simple. I notice the tractor didn’t bog down a lot. Also noticed the gearbox looked very large.
Never even get off the seat with the rear grapple!

/ Brown Tree Saw
That is really cool. Fast & simple. I notice the tractor didn’t bog down a lot. Also noticed the gearbox looked very large.
Never even get off the seat with the rear grapple!
The tractor I will use, the NH TN65, is 47 hp at the PTO so I don't anticipate any issues there. It also has a grapple on the FEL. Delivery is still 3 - 4 weeks out. Can't wait.