Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,193  
Efficent system!
Very!!

I have under $13k into the system. It sounds expensive but a high end splitter with a log lift is not cheap.

I sell a bit of firewood so the unit will be "free" in a short time. It works for me but is not for everyone.

First, I can work relatively safely alone.

Second, I do not need to handle/wrestle wood very much. I use a grapple to load logs onto the live deck. Split wood falls into the bag. The bags are on pallets, and I have forks on the 3PH to move bags/pallets to the seasoning area. For personal use, I move the bags/pallets into the garage and use a pallet jack to stage them close to the entrance to the house.

Third, storing splits loose stacked in vented bags increases drying by about 50%. There is air flow around each side and up through the bottom of the bag.

Fourth, I know I am not shorting a customer when I make a delivery because the bags hold 1/3 of cord loose filled. I have a custom attachment to load bags into the F250 for delivery. The F250 carries two bags and has a dump bed so unloading is easy. See below:

Bulk Bag SSQA Attachment.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,194  
Very!!

I have under $13k into the system. It sounds expensive but a high end splitter with a log lift is not cheap.

I sell a bit of firewood so the unit will be "free" in a short time. It works for me but is not for everyone.

First, I can work relatively safely alone.

Second, I do not need to handle/wrestle wood very much. I use a grapple to load logs onto the live deck. Split wood falls into the bag. The bags are on pallets, and I have forks on the 3PH to move bags/pallets to the seasoning area. For personal use, I move the bags/pallets into the garage and use a pallet jack to stage them close to the entrance to the house.

Third, storing splits loose stacked in vented bags increases drying by about 50%. There is air flow around each side and up through the bottom of the bag.

Fourth, I know I am not shorting a customer when I make a delivery because the bags hold 1/3 of cord loose filled. I have a custom attachment to load bags into the F250 for delivery. The F250 carries two bags and has a dump bed so unloading is easy. See below:

View attachment 856722
Shooterdon, I have no doubts at all, but I'd sure like to see how that 250 bed looks as it's up to dump. It looks in the picture as a regular truck bed looks - not as an dump insert. Curious as to how it dumps?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,195  
I have such a contraption. I do not touch wood until I carry it from the garage to the house. Working alone, I can do a cord in 3 hours or less.

View attachment 856707
That's sure a nice set-up! Did you create this on your own or was it able to be pieced together by buying the separate components? That roller shoot is sure impressive!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,196  
That's sure a nice set-up! Did you create this on your own or was it able to be pieced together by buying the separate components? That roller shoot is sure impressive!
The processor comes with both a small infeed conveyor and the outfeed conveyor. It is the Red Runner 27T Deluxe linked below:

I added the live deck. It was less expensive from another supplier - Range-Road. It plugged right in without needing to modify the hydraulics.

This is not a commercial set up but adequate for my needs. About 100 cords a year.

I rented a Dyna the first time I used a processor. It was twice as good but it costs four times as much. If I was 20 years younger, or wanted to sell more wood, I would have bought the Dyna. They are not far from me in Michigan, and they make an excellent machine.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,197  
I have such a contraption. I do not touch wood until I carry it from the garage to the house. Working alone, I can do a cord in 3 hours or less.

View attachment 856707
Not fair Shooter.
I'm talking a machine that can make "rows" but I feel if your wood can actually dry being all bundled up like that, it is the way to go.
Split it and don't touch it again till you grab it to burn is the benchmark in my mind.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,198  
Not fair Shooter.
I'm talking a machine that can make "rows" but I feel if your wood can actually dry being all bundled up like that, it is the way to go.
Split it and don't touch it again till you grab it to burn is the benchmark in my mind.
Hey arrow,

All is fair in love, war, and....firewood processing...LOL

I am 73 and part of my rationale was finding a way to keep using firewood as get older and cannot work as hard. I enjoy a fire plus wood is cheaper than propane.

One thing for sure, we either get older, or die. Seems to me working smarter beats working harder. I have a neighbor a year older than I and he can no longer fell trees, buck them, and split wood after a bad fall last year. He works for a commercial firewood operation doing deliveries, and barters his time to get wood. I suspect I will be helping him out down the road...it is what neighbors do here.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,199  
Weird thing last week, got done cutting for the day and noticed I had no oil cap on my saw!! In all the years I've been cutting I have never had that happen before, ordered a new cap but after a big rain Thursday I went out and the rain washed the debris off it and I'm back in business! And now with a spare.
So I finally got around to dragging the tree I took down out of the woods, bucked it up and got some of it split. Good to get it out of the woods.

The log.
IMG_1578.JPG

Bucked up and waiting
IMG_1581.JPG

And my splitter set up
IMG_1592.JPG

Puts me about half way to this years wood stock
IMG_1594.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 56
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,200  
^^^^
I've only done that once, and still have the spare cap from the 254 which I scrapped 20 years ago. I've left it off a few saws since then but they are attached and I realize it when I get that tank of B&C oil down my leg.

I suspect yours just didn't get tightened, and fell off while you were cutting?