Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :)

/ Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :)
My recommendation is any grapple will do. The only suggestion is not to get one that is wider then your tractor.
My dealer is recommending I get one wider than my tractor. My gut says I don't want one that wide. What are you basing your recommendation on?

/ Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :)
   / Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #74  
If you have a wood lot like me maneuverability is a thing. My tractor is 63" wide. I'm going with a 60" grapple - great thread thanks I've been on the search for a year now.... getting tired of chains and my bucket to move brush and logs.

Now glad I didnt pull the trigger on an EA in January.

/ Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #75  
Fair enough. I look at it more like a bucket or blade and want things at least as wide as the tractor.

Then again, I don't stray into the trees all that often.

/ Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #76  
Bought a Stout Buckets grapple for my 48HP Branson. Really like the grapple, and it’s held up well with a fair amount of use. Got the Stout Skid Steer Brush Grapple 66-9 With Skid Steer Quick Attach. USA made.
IMG_4217.jpeg

/ Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #77  
The “root rake style” grapple looks ideal for driving into an pushing large brush piles. Can’t understand the nickname “root grapple”, though??
Already have a log grapple.
Need something that I can drive into a tall & deep pile of brush, close grapple, and come away with lots of brush.
See the brush in the red box? I have 10 piles bigger than that.

View attachment 851512
The problem with the root rake grapple and brush is your radiator and grill are a lot closer to the pile of brush and it's harder for you to see when you are making grabs. Ask me how I know!

I've switched to the long bottom style grapple and feel it is superior to the root rake style for moving brush, rocks and logs. Easier to see my grabs and keeps the skewers away from my grill.

/ Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #78  
My grapple and 3rd function was a major purchase. At least, for me. $4500 with tax.

There are many good grapples - there are some that are less than good. Just as there are light duty and heavy/extreme duty grapples. I did not want to spend that kind of money and not be able to inspect it until it arrived.

I took my neighbor with me when we went to the dealership to look at this grapple. He knows about heavy equipment and welding. He was most pleased at what he saw.

After a couple years of searching, reviewing, asking locals what they had - I knew what I needed. I needed a grapple that could withstand the most severe use - that's what I got.

I was most fortunate - the local Kubota dealer had exactly what I wanted. And it was there in his equipment lot.

I had Kubota install the 3rd function. They did a really fine job. All the plumbing, fittings, connections are installed in very protected locations. They obviously knew what can happen with the use of a grapple.

Nine years and not a single problem with the grapple or 3rd function.

I paid a premium price - I got exactly what I wanted.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #79  
A person who buys a grapple and does not do something to protect his grill, radiator & battery is looking to spend more money in the future. Sooner or later - a branch, stob or stick will find its way and created destruction.

It would appear that Mikester had such an experience. Several others have posted of such an experience also.

I'm a hard headed Norwegian - but "thump" me often and long - I'll get the message.

Last edited:
   / Need a grapple for my tractor... help me spend some money. :) #80  
A person who buys a grapple and does not do something to protect his grill, radiator & battery is looking to spend more money in the future. Sooner or later - a branch, stob or stick will find its way and created destruction.

It would appear that Mikester had such an experience. Several others have posted of such an experience also.

I'm a hard headed Norwegian - but "thump" me often and long - I'll get the message.
Oosik, I'm born and raised in Norway, moved to the US in 1998 when I married my US wife.