Shop build and heating in 2024

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #21  
Despite the amount of National forest and BLM land I still dont know how it works getting beetle kill wood off the slopes. I know they have a lot of rules banning motorized vehicles and power tools like gas powered chain saws, so I am going to have to see how firewood is brought off the mountain before I make any commitment to heating with wood. Its mostly softwood too, so thats another hurdle. Lots of volatile resin and very little in coals.

Unless it's wilderness area, USFS land is generally open to vehicles and chain saws. Except under red flag conditions when fire danger is very high. Then they might shut down the forest and keep people out.

It varies some but personal use firewood permits are usually a nominal fee like $5-10/cord. There's often a map that shows where you can cut. They don't want people cutting in timber sales or around recreation areas. There usually are rules about what you can cut. For example, standing dead only and within 100' of the road.

This should all be on the web site for the forest in question. You can find maps on line to tell you which forest and ranger district within a forest that a particular area is in. Or you can stop at a ranger station and ask, they will be happy to help.

For attics you want ventilation if the attic is air sealed from the conditioned space with an insulated ceiling, but not if it's a "hot deck" where the underside of the roof is insulated.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #22  
Unless it's wilderness area, USFS land is generally open to vehicles and chain saws. Except under red flag conditions when fire danger is very high. Then they might shut down the forest and keep people out.

It varies some but personal use firewood permits are usually a nominal fee like $5-10/cord. There's often a map that shows where you can cut. They don't want people cutting in timber sales or around recreation areas. There usually are rules about what you can cut. For example, standing dead only and within 100' of the road.

This should all be on the web site for the forest in question. You can find maps on line to tell you which forest and ranger district within a forest that a particular area is in. Or you can stop at a ranger station and ask, they will be happy to help.

For attics you want ventilation if the attic is air sealed from the conditioned space with an insulated ceiling, but not if it's a "hot deck" where the underside of the roof is insulated.
There was a major blow down event a few years ago with 130+ mph wind. I know for a fact that motorized vehicles and chainsaws were not allowed as part of the remediation job. I think the blown down trees laid on the ground for the nest 5-6 years till a fire came through.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #23  
There was a major blow down event a few years ago with 130+ mph wind. I know for a fact that motorized vehicles and chainsaws were not allowed as part of the remediation job. I think the blown down trees laid on the ground for the nest 5-6 years till a fire came through.
That's an unusual ruling in my experience, which has been in line with @ericm979's, but forests are managed individually, and perhaps the USFS had concerns about accidents due to the blow downs being tangled, or otherwise unstable.

Good luck with your ventures.

All the best,

Peter

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #24  
I got some clarification on a local facebook bulletin board.
1707445275995.png

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #25  
There is also this offer from a local lumbermill. Buying slab wood seems pretty economical. $160 per cord for bundled birch slab wood is not bad.

1707445421940.png

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #26  
well, I've got a 40x80 shop and I don't work out there on really cold days. But if I had to, I bought one of those torpedo heaters that I use to warm up the area I'm working in.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #27  
Im going to be earning my living in my shop, I wont have any sort of fixed income for at least another 7 years. I also have early onset arthritis so its important for me to be comfortable in my work space. I dont need to worry about cooling because of the altitude (about 3F drop per 1000 ft if I recall) and it is sunny compared to many places in the US.
1707448761363.png

One can see the daily low even in summer is down to 40F and certainly lower than that at times. Highs in summer up to 80, but it is a dry climate so it doesnt feel near that warm. One can have frost up to May and then starting again at the end of September. I will have a lean to roof on the south side that will hold the solar array and it will have a concrete floor with a considerable amount of glazing so will always be getting passive solar heating on that side of the building. Im sure that some circulating fans can help move that heat around to keep the shop space warm.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #28  
If the concrete absorbs the passive heat, if you have pex in that floor to preheat or heat the fluid and route that warm fluid to your work areas floors? Might work? Jon

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #29  
I wasnt planning on putting radiant heat under the porch concrete. The idea was that the glazed in area would provide a comfortable environment even in cold weather, so long as there was sunshine, where the typical wind would make it too uncomfortable in the outdoors. There would also be extensive views in that direction which one could enjoy in addition to the local wildlife.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024