Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #111  
A large JLG would be the only way I'd put myself out in the middle of that. A person could do a lot of cutting and hooking from a JLG with the crane pulling stuff out.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #112  
What happens if you break it free? Will it go someplace you can collect it easier?
Can you build a trap for the debris someplace more accessible downstream? Just a different thought.
I'm kind of wondering how many would float vs sink or something in between. They are likely very waterlogged in addition to having tons of silt/sand/rocks embedded weighing it down.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #113  
What is your summer flow? Winter flow? Spring floods? etc?

I'd argue to start planning now, but leave it alone until July/August when it would be more convenient and safer to pull it apart.

I'd also really argue with the railroad to get access to the bridge. You're working on their problem anyway. Set up a small jib crane on the bridge that you can manage a grapple, then a bigger vehicle with a winch on the bank. Drop the grapple from the jib crane, then winch to shore. Even a dozer with a winch would work well. Pull your grapple back to the middle of the river with the jib, and start over.

As mentioned earlier, you'll lose a few logs, and it would be beneficial to design a catch downstream.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #114  
Having done surveys for bridge replacements and knowing how they design bridge heights and waterway openings I can see what’s going on now with that last group of pictures. My opinion is the log jam in the main channel isn’t the biggest part of the problem but the area you are calling the flood plain. When the river is in flood is spreads out and all the stuff in the overflow area is slowing down the flow.

From and engineering point of view for flow what does the other side of the bridge look like? It doesn’t help to do one side if the other side is just as restricted.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #115  
Is there a google maps satellite view that shows the whole area?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #116  
1706126837383.jpeg

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
What is your summer flow? Winter flow? Spring floods? etc?

I'd argue to start planning now, but leave it alone until July/August when it would be more convenient and safer to pull it apart.

Yes, planning for the “drought” months.
I'd also really argue with the railroad to get access to the bridge. You're working on their problem anyway. Set up a small jib crane on the bridge that you can manage a grapple, then a bigger vehicle with a winch on the bank. Drop the grapple from the jib crane, then winch to shore. Even a dozer with a winch would work well. Pull your grapple back to the middle of the river with the jib, and start over.

As mentioned earlier, you'll lose a few logs, and it would be beneficial to design a catch downstream.

Amazing how everyone keeps pushing for that, but the RR won’t allow access. LOL
They just won’t.
Let’s put that to rest.

Besides, Any kind of “crane/winch rig” would get pulled off the bridge like a toy if a larger piece broke off in the current with cable attached.

Having done surveys for bridge replacements and knowing how they design bridge heights and waterway openings I can see what’s going on now with that last group of pictures. My opinion is the log jam in the main channel isn’t the biggest part of the problem but the area you are calling the flood plain. When the river is in flood is spreads out and all the stuff in the overflow area is slowing down the flow.

From and engineering point of view for flow what does the other side of the bridge look like? It doesn’t help to do one side if the other side is just as restricted.

The other side is fairly clear of debris, but there are “junk trees” growing on the back side, and they catch floating logs, too.

Everything needs to be cleared. Downed trees and live, growing trees.

The log jam in the river is the dangerous part everyone is focusing on, but thats only a small part of the work. By drought season, the river will be 3’ deep and easier to work on. The pictures I took this week are with rain/snow runoff. So it’s deeper than usual.

Last edited:
Experience comes from mistakes ,caused by stupidity .

Yep, and little dogs sit on the porch accomplishing nothing because they’re scared of “liability”, while big dogs get off the porch and get the jobs done.

So there’s that, too.

Look, I’m not going to go about this hastily and carelessly.
I’m making plans and calculating risks, checking insurance and consulting with the engineer.

I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday, K?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #120  
Yes, planning for the “drought” months.

Amazing how everyone keeps pushing for that, but the RR won’t allow access. LOL
They just won’t.
Let’s put that to rest.

Besides, Any kind of “crane/winch rig” would get pulled off the bridge like a toy if a larger piece broke off in the current with cable attached.
Ok, I didn't catch that this was a summer job. Excellent.

I still don't think I'd want to be climbing around on the log jam while working on it, although I've climbed over log jams on the shore that are high and dry. I definitely wouldn't want to be standing on the logs and have someone winching logs out from underneath me.

So that leaves one needing a place with good solid footing to work from. Either up on the bridge, or on some kind of anchored raft.

If you designed your jib crane with a breakaway. So, say you have 500 lbs for your grapple and cable, then you let go if it gets jerked with 1000+ lbs.

I suppose the risk is that if working on the logs you actually knock down the bridge, but that seems unlikely if it has survived several floods.

Ultimately, if all answers point to the safest option and it gets nixed for liability, then I'd simply pass on the job. You will need to have a lot of insurance for the job.