Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,421  
That's a nice row of splits you have there Gordon . . . (y)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,422  
Another nice day here today, my wife said we should split this load of wood,

Resized-20230923-134759-S.jpg

So off we go with the splitter to get rrr done, we saved most of the bigger rounds for last and this was the last one,

Resized-20240416-143151-S.jpg

and we split it right into my half cord boxes,

Resized-20240416-143308-S.jpg

That wagon load made just under two cords boxed splits...

SR
Mr. Rob, what do you estimate your cycle time is with the PTO splitter?

You mentioned your tractor sips diesel - what RPM do you generally run it when splitting?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,423  
IF, you let it go all the way full cycle, 10 seconds, more than fast enough to keep more than one person busy.

Depends on how ambitious I am, around 1400 RPM's...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,424  
That's pretty good...I saw one at an auction this last weekend and thought of you.

I had heard that a PTO splitter was slow...but 10 secs at 1400 RPM sound pretty usable.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,425  
That's pretty good...I saw one at an auction this last weekend and thought of you.

I had heard that a PTO splitter was slow...but 10 secs at 1400 RPM sound pretty usable.
If the splitter is plugged into the tractor's remotes, they can be slow, but mine is self-contained and has a hydraulic pump on the pto shaft.

That speeds things up quite a bit.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,426  
If the splitter is plugged into the tractor's remotes, they can be slow, but mine is self-contained and has a hydraulic pump on the pto shaft.

SR
Is there a hydraulic tank on here that I am not seeing?

Edit, maybe I see an orange/red tank on the back side of the cylinder.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,429  

SR
I had a lightweight 3pth splitter which my father had made. I used the pump for my Cadplan backhoe to run it. It was only single stage so not really strong, but still better than a splitting maul.

I enjoy splitting wood by hand but it's rather time consuming