Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,341  
I used the Cub, because I wasn’t hauling it to the woodshed, I just left it stacked on the corner of my bucking trailer. I put the side box back on the Cub first, which works good for carrying my saw.
Nice Cub!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,342  
Not as nice as wolc123's but a super fun tractor to use! My '58

Attachments

• 1712085366519.jpeg
    1712085366519.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,344  
OK...what's a bean hole?

(And ya'll get yer minds out of the gutter!)
I'd say that yours is already there, based on this comment. :D

To answer your question,

Beans baked in cast iron pots buried in the ground became a lumber camp specialty and remain popular in Maine to this day

From this site...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,345  
When it comes to making ash in the fireplace, our best wood out here is Coastal Douglas Fir, which is technically not a fir at all. It has 75% of the BTUs of hardwood yet I can easily go 2 months of 24/7 burning without shoveling ash out. Grows straight as an arrow and splits easily. The older the tree, the denser the wood.
Talking to a pellet stove mechanic last year and he stated softwood pellets burnt better and cleaner than the hardwood counterpart.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,346  
The article is an education...and now I'm interested in trying it out. Had to look up Yellow Eyes, Jacob's Cattle and Soldier beans too. They are some pretty beans.

I've cooked a stew piling coals on a Dutch oven, but the bean-hole is something new.

Like the mention of them originally being made with maple syrup. Bet that's pretty good!

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,347  
The article is an education...and now I'm interested in trying it out. Had to look up Yellow Eyes, Jacob's Cattle and Soldier beans too. They are some pretty beans.

I've cooked a stew piling coals on a Dutch oven, but the bean-hole is something new.

Like the mention of them originally being made with maple syrup. Bet that's pretty good!
Want something even weirder?
Look up cooking a shore dinner or pit cooking or clam bake.
All you need is some seaweed crap, some sand crap, charcoal crap and some food crap

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,348  

You can accomplish the same thing in a pressure cooker, but it isn't as fun. My beanhole is two tractor trailer rims welded together, sunk into the ground. I'd like to add another rim for my other Dutch oven, and try a roast in that. 😋
I've done them with maple syrup before, but prefer molasses. Probably because that's the way I've had them for 65 years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,349  
I've done them with maple syrup before, but prefer molasses. Probably because that's the way I've had them for 65 years.

Me too. Syrup makes them to sweet for my taste.

gg