1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #172  
I hate the emissions BS also, but the CK3520 only has a regen button. No DEF. The dealer told me you might go 500 hours before ever hitting that regen button so it was a non issue for me. If that is true and it takes that long to require the DPF to need regen then the machine is extremely clean burning.

Just keep your RPM's up when you're running the machine and the DPF will do it's thing. Given you're over 50 hours without a regen cycle I'd say you're already keeping up on it.

That said, 500 hours is an absolute load, lol.

OP, regarding your remotes; if you're financing the machine get it plumbed with the hydraulics. Rear remotes, third function, whatever you think you'll need for the future- this is your best time.

Yanmar, Kioti, Kubota, they're all good machines.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons
I have over 50 and yet to see the light but I am not doubting you. This came from a salesman. Only 1 small step up from a politician.
Agree with everyone about DPF should regen every 20-50 hours or so.

That said, there seems to be a common misconception here between DPF (diesel particulate filter) and DEF (Diesel exhaust fluid). From 2013 (I believe as I’m new to this), tractors over 25 HP are subject to tier IV emissions which in most cases means that these tractors have a DPF. The DPF in layman’s terms, collects diesel particulates and once it get full enough, the engine throws extra fuel into cylinders to increase exhaust gases to burn out the particulates in the filter. This process is called regeneration, or regen.

On the flip side, I didn’t research this as it wasn’t applicable to be but from reading this thread, tractors over 75 horsepower may have DEF along with a DPF. This DEF is injected into the exhaust to form a chemical reaction with the NOx gases to convert them into elements (I think water and…. Something else, not sure) to essentially help with greenhouse gases.

Hope that clears the air regarding the emissions. If it’s anything like trucks, the DEF system is usually the more unreliable side to the emissions components. Trucks also have the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) which is part of the DEF, not sure if that’s the case for tractors.

Agree with everyone about DPF should regen every 20-50 hours or so.

That said, there seems to be a common misconception here between DPF (diesel particulate filter) and DEF (Diesel exhaust fluid). From 2013 (I believe as I’m new to this), tractors over 25 HP are subject to tier IV emissions which in most cases means that these tractors have a DPF. The DPF in layman’s terms, collects diesel particulates and once it get full enough, the engine throws extra fuel into cylinders to increase exhaust gases to burn out the particulates in the filter. This process is called regeneration, or regen.

On the flip side, I didn’t research this as it wasn’t applicable to be but from reading this thread, tractors over 75 horsepower may have DEF along with a DPF. This DEF is injected into the exhaust to form a chemical reaction with the NOx gases to convert them into elements (I think water and…. Something else, not sure) to essentially help with greenhouse gases.

Hope that clears the air regarding the emissions. If it’s anything like trucks, the DEF system is usually the more unreliable side to the emissions components. Trucks also have the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) which is part of the DEF, not sure if that’s the case for tractors.
Anyway, correct me if you want but it’s very off topic from the original 35 HP thread.

On a flip side, got another quote back for the Yanmar YT235 for $26,800 (without a rebate) but their financing is rough. Usually you have to put 20-40% down to get 0% interest.

Kioti has 0% for 60/72 months so that’s something to consider too. The CK3520SEs are nice!!

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #175  
That down-payment on the Yanmar is painful.

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #176  
Look for a 2-13 tractor with low hours, that is what I did

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #177  
SNIP>>>
The YT235 is probably in the lead currently, followed by the L3302, then Kioti 3520SE.

I’m still torn between gear drive and hydro… on one hand, gear drive just seems fun, like a tractor is supposed to driven, and on the other hand, hydro would probably be more convenient, but obviously at a cost (literally) and power.
Does it matter what type of PTO it has? Apparently the L3302 has different types of PTOs depending on the transmission. There are several different type of PTOs, and sometimes the spec data is a bit vague on PTO features.
rScotty

Does it matter what type of PTO it has? Apparently the L3302 has different types of PTOs depending on the transmission. There are several different type of PTOs, and sometimes the spec data is a bit vague on PTO features.
rScotty
I don’t know much about the PTO types but it seems like an independent PTO is the way to go from what I’ve read. Granted I don’t know the pros and cons to either a live or independent PTO

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #179  
I think DEF usually shows up over 75 HP.

Don't worry about the emissions. Unless you can find an older tractor and have the time and ability to keep it running, the size you need will have some type of emissions. Just learn what they need.
Of course for a person who looks and finds a well maintained older tractor... say year 2000 to 2014 - they then have all modern features in a pre-emissions tractor. No warranty, but a tractor more designed for self maintenance. And It is nice not to have to deal with emissions or have a tractor that is required to run at high RPM all the time.

The money saved could be sad to pay for a person's time, and education is what creates ability.

So there are advantages - but only if money or education is more interesting than something else.
And the "something else's" in life can be pretty persuasive.
rScotty

/ 1st time buyer - 35 hp comparisons #180  
I don’t know much about the PTO types but it seems like an independent PTO is the way to go from what I’ve read. Granted I don’t know the pros and cons to either a live or independent PTO
A live pto requires an independent clutch to turn it off/on.
Something to consider is that some of the independent pto’s have an electric brake which does not allow the pto stub to freewheel . Makes it a little harder to attach pto powered implements (IMO).