Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #11  
OH... And not to be left out...

""""

What is specifications of GL rating for hydraulic fluids

ChatGPT
The GL rating for hydraulic fluids is not a standard or widely recognized term. However, you might be referring to the ISO viscosity grade or the AGMA (American Gear Manufacturers Association) lubricant classification, which includes the GL (Gear Lubricant) ratings for gear oils. Gear lubricants are often used in hydraulic systems, especially in systems with hydraulic pumps and gears.
The AGMA GL ratings indicate the type of gears a lubricant is suitable for, and they are as follows:
  1. GL-1: These are mild EP (Extreme Pressure) oils with additives suitable for lubrication of light-duty gears and bearings operating under low load conditions.
  2. GL-2: These oils are not typically used today. They were designed for worm gears operating under very mild conditions.
  3. GL-3: Suitable for moderate-duty, spur, helical, and bevel gears, as well as synchronized manual transmissions. They provide better protection against rust and corrosion compared to GL-1 oils.
  4. GL-4: Intended for spiral bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles under moderate to severe conditions. They are also suitable for synchronized manual transmissions.
  5. GL-5: These oils are designed for severe-duty, high-speed, high-torque conditions, such as hypoid gears in automotive differentials. They typically contain EP additives for improved performance under extreme pressure.
  6. GL-6: Not commonly used today, GL-6 oils were designed for high-speed, heavily loaded hypoid gears. However, modern GL-5 oils often fulfill these requirements.
It's important to note that while these classifications are relevant for gear lubricants, hydraulic fluids often have different specifications. Hydraulic fluids are commonly classified based on their viscosity, oxidation stability, anti-wear properties, and other factors. ISO viscosity grades (such as ISO VG 32, ISO VG 46, etc.) are commonly used to specify hydraulic fluid viscosity.
If you have specific requirements for hydraulic fluids, it's recommended to check the equipment manufacturer's recommendations and consult the appropriate standards for hydraulic fluids in your industry.

""""

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #12  
ChatGPT apparently takes pieces of from other conversations and weaves them together so they sound authoritative. It doesn't seem to notice when it contradicts itself. When asked it about additives in hydraulic fluids, ChatGPT confidently spouted out two completely different conclusions.

Maybe it should go into politics.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #13  
I would trust chatgpt information about as much as I would trust bing. Garbage in, garbage out.

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #14  
And this is the type of thing where chatgtp misses the mark. As a matter of fact, as this sort of thing progresses it will be more and more difficult to access information that is correct or for that matter even real. Anything can be faked now. Talk about manipulation.....!!!

Sorry.. Don't mean to hijack the thread...

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #15  
That's a nice looking hoe. Congratulations.

Hydraulic Oil specs always confuse me. I'm not sure that it is even possible to find the specific approvals that you are looking for in a hydraulic oil. What does JCB use? Their saying "HP46" doesn't tell us much.

always curious about hydraulics,
rScotty
JCB HP46 is DIN 51524-2, ISO 6743-4

Starfire AW46 is probably the least expensive “brand”

Mobil maybe one of the top tier. Of course, it all depends on where you buy, how much you buy and what’s on sale.
Products

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #16  
JCB HP46 is DIN 51524-2, ISO 6743-4

Starfire AW46 is probably the least expensive “brand”

Mobil maybe one of the top tier. Of course, it all depends on where you buy, how much you buy and what’s on sale.
Products
Yepper, that's exactly what I am saying....the hydraulic fluid industry is very secretive and won't allow themselves to be pinned down to any performance standards except viscosity and a couple of safety issues like flammability.

It is not at all like the very good and complete SAE and ASTM standards for motor oils.

DIN 51524-2 classifies hydraulic fluids as being "mineral oil or related hydrocarbons".
That pretty much covers everything from alcohol to road tar.
It does define a viscosity and temperature range (hence, AW 46).
Other than that, the document seems to be a general tutorial and classification of fluids.
It mentions DIN and ISO performance standards that do exist ....but doesn't require any.
You can download a pdf at:
https://hydraulique-martin.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Bosch-Hydraulic-Fluid-Selection.pdf
Read section 3..4 on compatibility of seal materials & you'll see what I mean. Very general.

ISO 6743-4 is also a similar fluid classification document but from ISO rather than DIN. It is not a performance document. It covers definition of terms for "Lubricants, Industrial Fluids, and Related Products. It does include some biofluids - which the Bosch document ignores. & exclude brakes and aviation.

Neither is much help to us tractor guys trying to figure out which fluid to put in our machines.

rScotty

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #17  
Remember…..the OP wants the cheapest chit. He doesn’t care, because he bought a cheap tired piece of chit…
You and I would like better than cheap….he DON’T CARE!!

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #18  
To the OP
I sold Service Pro products for 13 years at the parts store I retired from in 2019.
Almost always a cost-effective solution and the products usually exceeded the posted specs.
The recent price inflation of the last few years has made them less competitive around here.
Good Luck!

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #19  
When I worked for Mr Choo Choo on the tie gang we used 10W oil
for the hydraulic oil.Every day first thing was refill hydraulic oil tanks
The mech that we had didn't do diddly crap just gave us the tools and
me did the work

willy

/ Looking for inexpensive AW46 - Hydraulic Oil #20  
Sounds like we attracted an AI Bot. I wonder if copying ChatGPS's drivel brought it here?